Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adams Family....Lurch.......help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, I drove my 69 to its new home(moving) today and it wanted to stall out
    when I gave it gas..it was lurching real bad! It runs perfect in park, i can pump the pedal with no stumbling, vacuum is good, oil pressure good etc.
    it was most evident going up hill...geeez..it was lurching so bad it must have looked like i was pumping the gas then hitting the brakes to the passer by's.

Any thoughts? I fuel pump is new, the carb is rebuilt(electric choke) , the distributor. Its a 4speed with new clutch also. I think it may be the distributor but have no idea...????

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You Rang:haha:

I would check the timing first. Is it a points or HEI motor. Check all your wires and also your coil connections. Then if that is all good I would check to make sure your fuel pump is working ok. (disconnect the fuel line from the carb and crank the key, fuel should start to spirt out pretty rapidly).

After that I would check for any vacuum leaks, vacuum hoses that might have gotten knocked off, and then last look at the carb as the problem.

Harley

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Make up some jumper wires and hook up from the hot side of the coil to a multimeter in the cab where you can read it while driving. See if you are getting a voltage drop when it lurches. If so, I would bet on a wore out ignition switch, or a bad/loose primary wire to the coil. Could also be a float sticking up, cutting off fuel to carb, if it is fresh rebuilt, it could have a small piece of trash from the cleanup clogging the needle and seat. I agree checking the ignition system first, then going from there is the thing to do.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys. I will start with the distributor coil. I had plans to
    buy a new distributor and coil anyways for better performance. Also will probably end up getting a new edelbrock qjet next month. Between those two,
    based on your feedback that the problem will go away.

Those edelbrocks qjets are sweet. I put on in my 77 and have never looked back ....starts and runs great!

Has anyone else ever experienced the lurching?

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes. Mine did that exact same thing when my fuel pump started going bad. It's easy to check. Pull it off the engine and move the lever by hand. YOu should hear a pretty loud suction sound from it. Mine only made a slight click. It ran fine at idle and would not stall out no matter how high I revved it (fast or slow) in the driveway, but as soon as I hit the street and tried to pull a hill, it would start crapping out. Try checking your fuel pump before you go replacing your distributor. If that's what's bad, you'll spend a LOT less $$ on it.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be the pump or a partly clogged gas filter or water in the gas too,or a rusted metal line with a pinhole in it sucking air instead of gas from the tank,or a clogged "sock" filter in the tank,also a rubber fuel hose collapsed on the inside will restrict the flow of gas intermittently to the engine---the ignition systen is a possibility too as already stated--you could run a hot wire from the battery to the HEI to eliminate the ignition switch as a possibility...It could be the coil,pick up unit in the distributor,or a loose wire somewhere making poor contact---good luck!..

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sounds like timing to me . Good luck dawg:)

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the timing is right on, but if it is a bad coil/distributor as mentioned above, that would be the timing. I think it may be the fuel lines. I installed an electric pump and i may have the lines linked somewhere. I'll have to check that.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try fuel filter. The car that starting doing this to me last week, apparently that was the problem............

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Bubba,
    the fuel filter is new....but i suppose since the truck was stored for 7 years it might be clogging up from tank. The only thing is that if it was the fuel filter, why does it run perfect in nuetral/park? Wouldn't a clogged fuel filter block consistently?

jakeslim

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I'd do the fuel pump first. Probably one of the cheaper things to try and it is exactly what mine did when I put a new pump on my truck. Would run fine in Park, but not driving, esp. on hills. Gotta remember (if you have a q-jet) that you will not open the secondaries in park, so it doesn't burn as much fuel therefor it runs ok. I stuck my old chrome fuel pump back on and it was running fine again, and still does even :dunno: go figure

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The car that I had the other day that had to get the filter replaced only had 6K miles on the odometer...........................................

It's just an idea and cheap also. I've had filters on my truck that I had to replace in under a year. As for running perfect, I had twenty miles on that tank before it started acting up and it ran fine when I had to respond to an accident, did 125 no problem; just ran like crap when it wasn't floored.