Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add a leaf install complete (if anyone cares)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jun 16, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, took about 6 hours of taking my time, and only banged one finger, so it went good : )

Used the Superlift rear "long" AAL's on the stock 6 leaf rear pack.

Came with the center pins/nuts, and the two leafs.

Pretty easy to do, only had one floor jack and some c-clamps...would have been faster with another jack and some blocks, but oh well.

End result is its about 1.5-2" higher in the back, so it sits pretty much perfectly level (eyeballing) now, with a half tank of gas. The trucks problem, was that with the sag, I was dragging the hitch on everything. Should be pretty much resolved now. 16" of clearance under the hitch now. Gonna have to go test here one of these days : )

Only problem with it is that you can't reuse the front spring "bracket" thats riveted to one of the stock springs. It stays in place, but you can't put the bolt back in place. All the leaves still are contained by it, but if the leaves twist, it will bend. If I see any problems like that, I'll just elongate the hole and install the stock bolts there.

Well worth the $80 I paid. Probably could have got it a bit cheaper somewhere else, but the local shop was the only one that said I could return it for refund if I didn't like the way it sat. Amazingly, rides better going over bumps than it did before. I have a feeling the ride was so jarring before because the bumpstops were hitting the axle on every speed bump. I looked at the contact points, and sure enough, those bump stops were getting well used. I'll probably keep my eye on that, and if they still hit, I'll probably trim them a bit...plenty of material there.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

cool! did they stiffen up the ride and hurt flex like i've heard they do?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As I touched on, ride quality actually has improved. I'm almost certain that on all speed bumps, I was actually "bottoming out" the rear springs because of the sag...the bump stops WERE well used.

I think the new springs may have changed my cornering anti-roll as well, since the bumpstops aren't hitting as the body rolls. I can't be certain of this, but there seriously wasn't enough clearance IMO with the stock sagging springs, to keep the bumpstops off the axle on a freeway cloverleaf. I tried taking one on the way to work this morning as I normally do, and it felt like I had a BIT more body roll. Certainly wasn't anything huge, just seemed to roll just a hair more.

I'll have to figure out how to check flex, but as long as the AAL's aren't TOO stiff (and they are fairly stiff) then I should be able to flex a good deal (2" I imagine) more than before, since thats the extra distance to the bumpstops now. Of course, if they tighten up the springs too much, the body will start lifting before hitting the bumpstops. I can check this with a floorjack on one corner in the rear though I guess.