Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add a leaf options...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jun 3, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, the fact that my friend (who works at an auto place) will let me return the add a leafs if I don't like the way the truck sits after install has pretty much made up my mind that I will try them.

My question is though, has anyone used either the Superlift 2500 or 2300 "kits"? The 2300 is more expensive, and is a "long" spring...it goes under the main leaf, whereas the 2500 is short, and goes on the bottom of the pack I assume..

Superlift says the long spring is "better", but I don't quite see an advantage one way or another...the long spring has more surface for the other springs to lay against, but thats about it. Also, not sure if it will fit or not, but the long spring would have to fit in those small clamps GM used for the top few leafs in the pack (to keep the springs from slipping to either side I assume)...I *think* theres enough space for an add a leaf in there, but does anyone have any experience with that either?

Superlift says it comes with the center "pins" for both sides, which as long as its correct, makes it a bit more appealing as well.

Apparently those should add up to about 2-2.5", which will bring the truck right about level finally. Again, with the money back guarantee from the local shop, I really don't have to worry about whether the height ends up right, all I've lost is some time if I don't like the way it looks.

Anyone got any input on this? Short or Long add a leaf, Superlift products ok, and would the long add a leaf fit inside the stock leaf spring clamp?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am no expert, but I believe that the long leaf will give you the same increase in height as the short, but not increase the spring rate as much. Kinda like how a 63'' lift spring is softer than a 52'' lift spring. The center bolts only cost about $3 if you buy them separately, so I wouldn't let that influence what brand you purchase. I don't know what the superlifts cost, but rough country has long AAL's for only $46 with the centering pins (JCWhitney). I was also under the impression that these would only give 1 1/2''- 2'' of lift regardless of who made them. Let me know how much lift you end up with; I am planning on buying AAL's soon.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the deal with the pins is, when I get around to needing them, the stores will undoubtedly be closed, and since this is my only vehicle running right now....

I like the idea of not increasing the spring rate as much. Not like my truck flexes like crazy, but its already bad, do I really want to make it much worse? lol. I'll check into the Rough Country ones. Thanks