Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ADD-A-LEAF or complete Spring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Mar 31, 2003.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hi friends,
    I have the front springs with negative arch (o ,and i,m doubting about to get a 2" Add-A-leaf kit or a 2" lift kit with news ans completes springs ,to get a positive arch )o and win clearance for the wheels.
    What is the advantanges and defects of each one?
    Thanks a lot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif .
    ( Spring
    o Axle

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Add-a-leafs up front give a terribly harsh ride. Go with new 2" lift spring packs.
    1) It's not more work than installing an add-a-leaf. In fact, may even be easier. All you've got to do is disconnect the u-bolts holding the spring to the axle, the two bolts that hold the spring to the truck, and then slide the new springs in and bolt 'em up. It's really pretty simple.
    2) Only advantage to add-a-leafs is that they are a bit cheaper than new springs. You'd save maybe $100-150 if you went with the add-a-leafs.
    3) Many disadvantages to add-a-leafs, though; rough ride, still using old/fatigued springs, etc.

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Thanks Heavy 4x4,
    Yes i also prefer the complete springs.Ever it ,ll be better than a a-leaf.
    I have seen some kits wich comes with the complete front springs and blocks for the rear.How good are this blocks for the rear?Would it be better the add-a -leaf in the rear axle?
    The springs on my rear axle are still in good shape, with positive arch )o.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If your rear springs are in good shape, think Shackle Flip , I don't like blocks. May be alittle more work, but well worth it !!!!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if the springs are saggin, putting in add-a-leafs is kinda a bandaid solution. I'd just get new springs... BDS or TC would be good...

j

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes,i have sent a mail to Tuff Country asking them about the springs they make.
    They have two types,EZ-ride and Heavy duty.The Ez ride maybe won,t be appropiated for my truck,cause they are recommended for small blocks ,and mine is the 6.2 Diesel.
    Maybe the Heavy duty works good.I,m sure mine has the Front springs sagged cause the engine weight.The truck is in very good shape and is clear that it hasn,t have a hevy work life.

7. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

This is my opinion being that i just did my truck and my friend did his with blocks and i did mine new springs all around. First of all, never get blocks. You will get a lot of wheel hop and funky torque. As well, whether you think your springs in the back are sagging or not they are when compared to new springs. Also, the body style of the blazer makes so that if you put new springs front and rear the body still looks as if it is sitting a little lower in the back. I believe this is an partly an illusion created by the fact that the rear wheel wells are smaller than the front as well as the fact that the back may sit lower. I got 6" springs for the front and 6.5" for the back. My other friend has 6" in front and 8" in back and it looks fine. However, then you have to get a new driveshaft for rear. If you are going for the 4" I would get shackle flip for rear and then get say a 4" for the front but also get 1.5" shackle lift in front and take the bottom leaf off the front leaf pack. This should leave you at 4" of lift with a much softer and flexier ride. Dont buy blocks unless you are dying for a lift and dont have the money for a full kit because blocks suck. Also i bought superlift and my friend bought procomp and my ride is alot softer. The procomp pack has 1 extra leaf over the superlift. As far as other brands i dont really know them as well. Hope this helps.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

One thing, Jorge, is that all stock springs had negative front arch -- so it's not that yours are THAT worn. They're supposed to be like that.

(At least, all three of my trucks are like that!)

The add-a-leafs will make the ride rougher, so all-new springs will improve things. You might also consider new spring bushings -- rubber is softer but wears out, poly lives forever but might ride a tad harsher.

Haven't done mine yet, so no personal experience.

Folks, what's the big deal with rear blocks vs new springs in back? I understand that add-a-leafs'll make it stiffer than all getout, but it seems like you'd get same-as-stock ride with blocks, and greater articulation than stock... what's the disadvantage? (besidesd the possibility of coming apart!)

-- A

9. dremu

And like a dope I post that and THEN go read the ORD link... LOL.

To quote... "Eliminating lift blocks helps reduce axle wrap and using flatter springs gives better ride quality and suspension flexibility. "

OK -- I'm sold /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi,Dremu.
    Thats what i,m thinking.The case is i haven,t never seen a Blazer in original shape,and i can,t to compare with mine.
    i was thinking mine has the spings sagged,cause someone spoke about the negative arch in this forum.So i really can,t know if my springs are goods or bad.
    However i,ve the sensation than the hood is a little low. [​IMG]
    And the truck doesn,t filter the way holes very good ,and it has a new Rancho 9000 set(Quad).
    It,s a pain to can,t drive other Blazer for compare one with the other.

11. dremu

Yeah, it's gotta be tough when there are so few around -- here are there are lots /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, your English is really good -- I can see you're trying, but you're doing well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You might look on my Brochures page which has factory images of the trucks, and sometimes cutaway shots with the front suspension, to see what they look like when new /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

12. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Dremu,my english is very bad,i know.But the intention is good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Thanks for give to me the Brouchures adress, i didn,t knew this web.Is the best web about commercial catalogs i have never seen.
    Well i,have watching the catalogs,and i have found a lot of cutaways were the springs can be watched.
    Accordin to this catalogs the springs are plains when the trucks cames from factory.
    However i think the height sizes from the floor ,coincides with mine (with the stock tires of course).

13. dremu

Ah, your English is fine. (Of course, we say "...web page I've EVER seen...", but English is funny that way.) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, hope it's helpful. I can't imagine what it would be like tryign to work on a vehicle that was so rare in my country -- one of the reasons I *love* the Blazers is that I can get (most) parts anywhere I go.

(I say "most" as finding parts for, say, the Chalet camper is imposible, but regular mechanical are at every car parts store.)

Enjoy!

-- A

14. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

The Blazers are very rare around here.Thanks god,i haven,t troubles with the parts for the moment.A shop of Paso Robles California, send to me all the parts i need.In the Junky yards around here is also some Blazer M1009 from the US military base .
    But they are a very inusual cars around here.
    Sometimes i,m stoped in a STOP or so,and the people starts to watching me /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif trying to see what kind of mad goes driving a monster like this
    Other times i park the the truck in any place and when i back ,i find a lot of people around the truck.A lot of them stay there waiting to heard the engine when i fire it.
    One time a guy was asking me about the truck.He said "In the TV doesn,t appear to be so bigs...."
    If he would see a Burban.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

15. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You need to take the exhaust off just to scare people. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you need parts this is the place to get them, I wonder how bad shipping is to Spain?

Later - Shane

16. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi Nitro,
    Yes ,in this web is a lot of used parts with a very good prices.For you is good,cause i suppouse you pay the parts when you are receiving it in your home,and then the freight company goes to give the money to the seller.
    But i can,t to do this.This service does not exist with international freights ,for the continuous coin changes.I must to pay before to reciving the parcel,and this an adventure when you are negotiating with an unknow person.
    For example,i need a hedliner panel long time ago.News are very expensive,and also the freight ,cause the Blazer headliner is enormous.
    But i have not other option than the new parts... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif