Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add-a-leaf or helper springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCK5, Jan 18, 2003.

1. SCK5

SCK5 Newbie

So if there is one thing I don't know to much about, it's suspension. But I want to fix the rear suspension on my suburban. I do a lot of towing so I'm looking for something to help with the sag and add a little strength in the back, so that the hitch doesn't almost hit the ground whe I put something big on the back.
    I've looked in to add-a-leafs by rough country and Hellwig helper springs. But wich is better.

Any ideas?

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I'ld go with the add a leaf for the reason, being added into the spring pack, it will lift up the natural stance of the rear whereas the helper springs go over the top and pretty much only come into play when loaded down.(Hopefully I'm talking about the right ones)

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Like the other guy said to help with your saggy ass a add-a-leaf is the only way I can think off right now ....well other than ORD's zero rate but that won't help with the towing I don't think.
    If it was mine I would and did get a full length Add-a-leaf it helped with the saggy ass.

Eric

4. BSav

BSav Registered Member

i would also go with the add a leaf over the helper springs.
    Also you may want to think about changing the shocks. I have Gabrial Air shocks in the back of my Blazer. I love them they will hold pressure up to 200 psi and as long as the fittings are all tight it will hold pressure for about 2 months. They lifted the back end of my truck so it looks real nice. I have also towed a 19 ft boat, and a big four place snowmobile tralier with four snowmobiles on it and the back end dosent drop much. It still rides nice with out weight in the back end, unlike the add a leafs may because they will be stiffing up the suspenstion. you can also use them in together for towing with no sag. The shocks cost me about 12-15$ a peice and the hose kit is about 8$ at your local pep boys, vip, or auto zone.
    Hope this helps, when you decide what you want and install post a follow up i would be intrested in what you choose and how you like it.
    Brian Sav
    88 GMC Jimmy, 350, stock height, and crome wheels for speed.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=444549&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

An additional comment would be that I don't know much about how they work with a fair amount of weight on them. The difference in height between a full and empty gastank is not noticeable, and thats about 200lbs or so. I did it *solely* to fix the rear sag, and it ended up doing just that.

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/rear33.jpg

http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/TablePics/myK5.JPG

Thats how bad the sag was BEFORE the add a leafs.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Beware that the rear shock mounts are not known for their strength. If you use them for weight bearing purposes, don't expect them to last long.

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

tried the healper springs didnt do much except ride better under load