Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add a leaf questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lunchbox, Jun 9, 2006.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

Ive been looking into purchaseing 2 inch add a leaf springs all around, all i want is to fit 33's. is this a good way to lift my 87 jimmy? would this hurt my steering? If anybody has any pictures of a blazer with a 2 inch lift and 33's could you show me? Any information on this topic would be great.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you actually want to lift it, or just clear the tires? It can usually be done with no lift, but that all depends on the wheels and tires. If you really want the lift, then I'd say things like zero-rates or a shackle flip.

Generally people seem to say the add a leafs hurt ride quality.

That being said, I have stock 6 leaf rear springs, which were sagging heavily. (I measured somewhere around 2", go figure) I bought 2" add a leafs, and that brought the rear up about even with the front. I didn't notice a ride quality difference, but I won't say there can't be, or isn't, I just didn't notice, along with all the other harsh ride qualities.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I didn't notice the ride so much, but they seemed noisy. Personally I'd be tempted to use zero-rates instead. Unless like Dorian mentioned, you think your springs are a little saggy.

It shouldn't take much to clear 33s.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a 'burb with 2 1/2" trailmaster add-a-leaves under it for a while. The springs were so worn out on that truck the add-a-leaves seemed to help the ride some.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is my 74 with a 3" add a leaf in front and 33"x12.5x 15 [​IMG]

6. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

the springs arnt sagging at all, i just need the lift, but my main concern is losing the streetability of the truck if i go to 4 inches of lift.

7. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

i was just looking at off road desighn's 4 inch shackle flip kit what are the pros and cons of this type of lift? Is their alot of things i would have to change?( brake lines)

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think there is much issue regarding streetability with 4" and 33's, some driveshaft issues which may add cost and time, but other than that, I can't see driveability being a concern with that small of a lift.