Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add-a-leaf, what are they all about, and how good are they?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Nov 18, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im considering add-a-leafs for a small, mild lift. im not to concerned with ride quality, my truck already rides like a dump truck, all i wanna do is raise it up alittle, simply. who all has done this, how hard was it, and how satisfied are you? thanks ahead of time for your imput. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

try the ORD zero rates they have no effect on spring rate and they give a true 1" of lift.

3. 87sm465np208

where would i get them?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

http://www.coloradok5.com/ordaddaleafreview.shtml

Available at, you guessed it, ORD (Offroad Design)
    Can be purchased online. Check out their website www.offroaddesign.com

These are basically 1" lift blocks, but are safe for the front and better than basic blocks because they are bolted to the spring pack. An add-a-leaf is another leaf added to the pack with a higher arc, thus lifting the truck about 1-2".

6. 87sm465np208

im still leaning twords add-a-leafs because is seems simplier.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 2.5" add a leaf lift from my truck that i took off, liked it a lot actually, the ride was pretty stiff, but they did the job and there was no saggy butt. Ended up taking it off cause i wanted a better ride, lift springs helped a little, but not as much as you would think...if you wanted i could sell them to you, they only have like 20K on them

8. edman87

edman87 Registered Member

I might be interested if you want to sell 'em, that is if '87sm465np208 don't take them, I'm pretty sure he gets firts take since it is his topic.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Add-a-leafs won't be any more simple. You still have to take off the axle, take apart the spring pack (remove center pin), put in new leaf, and reassembe. Same process as the zero-rate.

10. jay web

jay web Registered Member

can you add an add-a-leaf to rear that is lifted with blocks or would you have to do it with a sping only lift (or shackle flip)

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That would be fine. It's not the most popular combination, but it has been done...without any problems.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah it'll be fine. My friend has a 90 Reg camb short bed truck with 2" Add-a-leaf and 4" blocks in the rear.

13. 87sm465np208

naw edman, man you can have them if you want them, im still undecided on what i wanna do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

14. 87sm465np208

well this is my other delema' if i do do just new front leafs, and i do blocks in the rear, its not to pricey:
    superlift = front springs, rear blocks, shocks, u-bolts, and hardware; 2 1\2 for 395$, 297$ without shocks. 4" lift for 485$, 347$ without shocks.
    Rough country=front springs, U-bolts, rear blocks, hardware; 2in= 225$, and 276$ for 4in lift, it is 135.88$ extra for shocks for both kits.
    OR i could stick it out and get ADD-a-leaf's front and rear for 103.98 and id have to probly get new u-bolts.

now how much do extended brake lines cost?, and how much do those lowed pitman arms cost? and is my driveline gunna freak out in the rear if i do a 4"?
    i really appreciate you guys shareing your knowlage with me, ive never put a lift on anything before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

How do you want your ride to look? What do you plan to do with your K5?

Yes you could go with Add-a-leafs front and rear and save some money right now but in the long run they will sag sooner than going with new springs.
    I have a 2.5 front springs with a Add-a-leaf in the back to help with the saggy Ass of my K5. I would rather have new springs in the back than the old ones. One good thing of the old springs is they flex good if I was to go with a Shackel Flip I'll bet I could get some really good flex out of them.
    One word about Add-a-leafs is there are two types of them a long and a short, I like the long leaf as I've seen the Stock leafs break right where the short leaf stopped at.
    I know you can find better price on springs, Like the one from National Tire& Wheel where you can get a 4in lift with REAR Springs and Shocks for 499.95, I called on this about a year ago and was told the springs were Skyjacker super ride or maybe it was Superlift anyway for 569 to my front door is a very good price.
    Lets say you go with a four inch lift, You mite not have to do a damn thing else, But then you mite have to drop your T-case down or even have to get a CV driveshaft, You really never know untill you do it. The other stuff you should get are a Raised Steering Block about 45$ then you should get longer Brake lines about 90.00
    Hope this helps

Eric

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The cheapest I've seen Rouch Country kits were $295 plus $55 for shipping.that kit is with front springs,rear blocks,u bolts,brake extensions(junk!),4 shocks(order the ones for the 6" lift)also you can upgrade to the "9000" series for $16 total,and the steering arm.It's a great deal,but the front springs are stiff.You can remove one of the front leafs and it will flex more.Mike

17. 87sm465np208

btw, im young and dont care about ride, so you say rough country? im lookin for a cheap lift style, i dont really care about ride or flex, all i use it for is occational hill climbing, muddin, and show'n off, and general driving around, when you put the front springs in, do you have to take it to an alighnment shop? i know the rear is a breeze, just the brake line and u-bolts and blocks. front would be the hardest. thanks ya'll, yur turnen me onto this lift kit thing /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You really dont need an alignment shop, just a wrench and a pipe wrench. Loosen the draglink bolts and turn it till the stering wheel and the wheels are centered

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I currently have Superlift softrides 6" lift springs in the front, and Pro Comp add a leaf with 4" blocks in the rear for 6" of lift for the rear. I really don't like blocks, and want alot more flex for the rear, so I'm going to Springer Suspension back there. I do plan on the ORD Zero rates for both the front and rear to relocate the axles and the 1" of additional lift. Thinking of reuseing the add a leaf from my current rear lift so I can get the rear to sit just alittle higher then the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also planning on the ORD 1" body lift and new poly mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. 87sm465np208

yea but dont you have to put the front axle on just right, i saw one hole on the right side of my spare 10 bolt axle and then an oblong hole, prehapes for alighnment? do i just drop the axle off, take out the old springs, install the new springs and just bolt in the axle? and about how long should i expect this to take, thanks guys, im planning on doing this i just gotta get around and price lifts. and yes before and after pictures will be in order. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif