Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add-a-leaf

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmann, May 19, 2005.

1. jmann

jmann Registered Member

how do the add-a-leafs ride. are they stiff. I have heard two thing that they are stiff and they don't affect the ride to much. Just what some of your opinions.

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

they suck. put in zero rates instead. i had add a leafs in the rear, they sucked, they squeaked bc theres no pads on them, they were a hassle to put in, the made the ride much stiffer. they cost more than zero rates too. AALs never give you 2" like they say either... they end up sagging down to an inch.

do yourself a favor and buy zero rates from www.offroaddesign.com

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I put them in my suburban and I think they feel good. your in Yakama so if you get down to Vancouver let me know and you can test drive mine :D

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think they ride much stiffer than stock. I had them on my '79 K20 and it rode fine for an old K20. My buddy has them on his Z71, and his Z rides no rougher than my Z71 without them.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My '78 had 4" springs up front, blocks and add-a-leaves at the rear. It used to rattle my teeth out. Horrible hard ride. I junked the add-a-leaves, took out a leaf front and rear, put zero rates (1 1/2") in the rear and it drives like a Caddy now....sort of! :grin:
    Going to put some 1/2" or 3/4" zeros in the front just to level it out a bit.
    (if you've got lift....junk the sway bar or correct the angle,it makes so much difference :) )

6. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

really? it rides better without it?

7. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

i have add-a-leaves they ride fine.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A sway bar at the wrong angle (like on a lifted truck) works against the axle as it tries to rise up and has the effect of having very stiff suspension. You get a much smoother ride without it but don't try any slalom runs thru the cones on the freeway :yikes: You may get a bit of unexpected bodyroll :D

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Put a pair in the rears on my truck. Absolutely no difference in ride quality, just doesn't sag in the rear anymore. :)