Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add a leaf

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Jul 23, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what you guys thaought of an add a leaf for my rear suspension. I have a 2 1/2 rancho suspension and its sagging in the rear. Summit sells an add a leaf that will give you a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lift and thats about what My rig is sagging in the rear. I dont have alot of extra cash so I thought that the economical add a leaf might be worth it. So what do you think. thanks in advance

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The Summit (ProComp) add a leaf is a great, quick fix. In my opinion, it's a little stiff though. You would be better off with a good set of stock springs and a "bolt in" add a leaf. My .02.

thebigdaddyof2

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

just installed an addaleak in a 95 ford and it raised the rear about 2.5 inches. they make the short and the long. shorts are about $40 and long about $50 they both do about the same, but the long is alittle softer. it also is a pretty simple install. break open the leaf pack and insert the new leaf and re assemble using the new clips
    makes a big difference in ride feels like a truck again
    good luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had a JC Whitney add-a-leaf up front and a 3" block out back once when I thought I was going to run 33s. That lasted about 3 months when I decided on the 4" Rancho and 35s.

I suggest a block in the back to cure the sag. I had chosen the add-a-leaf for the front since blocks are a no-no, but didn't use it in the back to save ride quality.

BTW, the easiest way to put in an add-a-leaf is to put the centering bolt in, put the axle under it, and, WHILE MAKING SURE THE WHOLE PACK'S IN THE RIGHT PLACE SO YOU DON'T DESTROY OR BEND THE CENTERING BOLT, jack up under the axle until the bolt goes through. Then put the nut on top, pop on the U-bolts and tires, and you're done. Remember to re-torque the U-bolts a little down the road too, if they're new they'll stretch.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I think I will go with the long add-a-leaf for the soft ride. Like I said I already have a 2 1/2" block in the back because rancho dont make rear springs. So Im hoping the add a leaf will make up the diference.....thanks again

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

How hard do you guys torc your U-bolts? I have a wrench about the size of my lower arm, can I give it all I got? Stupid question maybe, but it seems like I could give it couple turns more if I really get on it. But will I be able to snap of the u-bolt with a wrench that size?

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think the torque spec is around 140 lb*ft. In other words give it just about all you got.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust