Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

add a leaf

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lt61173, Jan 10, 2004.

1. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used an add a leaf with a 4" suspension lift? I just got 35" tires and I rub when making sharp right hand turns. Is this a bad idea? Should I just buy a 6" suspension?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not different backspaced wheels? maybe a set of extended shackles for the front springs?

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

An add a leaf kit won't help in the front. You could try lift shackles like confedneck metioned, or go to a bigger lift all together. I am a fan of fender trimming (can you say 37's with a 4" lift?) but that doesn't work for everybody.

4. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

If I just did the front wouldn't the blazer sit funny? Can you add a leaf the back & shackle the front? I really don't wanna cut the fenders.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can.

6. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

1 more thing, what about ord zero rate add a leaf? Good or bad for both front & back? What would you guys think is the best solution until I can get the 6" spring lift? Also Thanks for all the info.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have used longer front shackles. 2" longer shacles will give you about an inch. But it will change the caster angle's and may put the pinion in an undesireable angle. degree shims may have to used to correct pinion. I had to use a 4 degree shim to correct pinion. You can level out the rear with a zero rate. The use of a longer shackle in the front will give a slightly softer ride and a little additional flex. Add-a-leafs will make the suspension stiffer.
    You could also use a 1" body lift. O.R.D sell one. I made 1 for my 76 with hockeypucks!