Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add a leafs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Feb 27, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

if i bought an 8" spring and put a 2" addaleaf it would make 10"s right? the only reason im asking is because i bought 2" add a leafs awhile back and just bought 8" springs from tough country. it doesnt look like those will help, looks like they were designd for stock springs?thanks for the help

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

8" springs are pretty stiff as it is depending on the spring rate , I dont think a 2" AAL wouldnt give you the result yer looking for. If you were putting them on a stock - 4" spring I would say yeh most likely but not wiht an 8" spring. I'm sure someone here has done something similar so hopefully someone else can chime in.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't take my advise too seriously but I don't think they will help because I would bet those 8" springs have almost as much arch to them as the addaleaf. IIRC my add a leaf was all that more arched than my stock rear springs when I put it in.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, all add-a-leafs do is add arch to your stock spring. If you have an 8" lift spring it's already beyond the arch of a 2" AAL.

5. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

well will it make the trucks load capacity stronger, so that it will not take any droop from the shell?

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Personally I think using an AAL would be worthless, like already stated the arch of an AAL is less than the arch of an 8" spring. An AAL would be useless in that type of situation.

One option is to have the sprigns slightly arched.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

it will act like an overload if anything. you'll need to compress that 8" spring quite a ways before it comes into contact w/ the add a leaf.