Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add-a-leafs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cabledawg, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Has anyone used the add-a-leaf springs from ProComp? I know it's only 2" of lift(maybe), but I am strapped for cash. Wife's 88Burb needs an engine before I can go crazy on my 90Burb. Do they really add lift, or just stiffen the ride? I'm only running 31's this year and don't really need any more than 2".

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

They do add lift, but again, something like that depends on the condition of the spring. I'm sure that results vary, between new or well used springs. They will make the ride a little stiffer, and again that depends on spring condition and rate. I had a set many years ago, and they really were not all that bad for the ride. I think they were 1.5", and I probably got almost all of that out of them, in terms of lift.

But, results may vary.

3. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i have the aal from skyjacker i think. the ride sux...just think of a dump truck and there you go. LOL but if your front springs are flat, i personaly wouldnt do it again, it arched them for about 2 months but now theyre flat again. If your short on cash they arent a bad idea though, just let her know that itll be rough;)

4. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Her Burb is 2wd and rides like a Caddy. I wouldn't touch her suspension. It's my Burb I'm working on and I could care less about ride quality. I'm installing poly bushings at the same time and those will stiffen the ride too. I just dont have the mony this year for a full lift kit. Sounds like add-a-leafs will work for now so thanks for the responses.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

bronco, they probably went flat again becuase the springs were already flat. Mine lasted for a year and a half, and were still arched when I took them off. But my springs were in good condition when I added them. I actually gave them to a friend who used them for a while, and he still got at least an inch out of them, maybe a bit more. Yeah my ride firmed up a bit, but nothing major. It wasn't like it rode great anyway.