Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add-a-leaves or Shackle lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K5guy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I just put 35s on my 89 and need 1 1/2 - 2 inches more clearance to be safe.
    I would just buy a 4 inch kit but I recently put a new 2-2 1/2 inch system on front and back.I only bought the 35s because I got 4 new Pro Comps for $485
    shipped from Nebraska tire.I was planning on 33s.Anyway,which would be better ;add-a-leaves or shackle lift on the front?I am going leaves on the rear.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you try to lift the truck that much in the front with shackles you're gonna screw up a lot of things.

As for the rear, do a shackle flip. I ran a-a-l's and they suck. Period.

3. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

So a-a-ls up front then?

4. mikey_d05

Gonna have to. If you try to get 2" out of a shackle, you need to add 4" to the shackle which in turn...isn't a good idea, screws up your castor (messes up your steering feel and may cause the truck to wander), and makes the front driveshaft angle worse.

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Don't mean to sound like a puss_ :o but my wife will come unglued if I even think about new leaf springs after just replacing all four.

6. mikey_d05

Haha, don't worry about it. The problem you're going to run into is that add a leaves are typically designed to work with factory spring packs, so whether they'll give you 1" or 2" or even work with factory packs, you won't know until you try. As for the rear, run like a 2" shackle flip, that'll net you the extra lift without stiffening up the ride and making the boss angry. :D

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

if you had 2.5" lift springs right now in all 4 corners and need more lift I would....

put ORD zero rates up front,

Put an ORD 2.5" shackle flip out back,

If you still have any clearance problems, you can take the zero rate in the front and swith it to a slightly different position up front in order to move your axle 1.5" foward, but this would require crossover steering.

Are you planning on flexing it out or just street running? If flexing, i would trim the fenders in the front and also remove the sway bar permanently. I would also add for shock towers up front with some long travel shocks :D

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

PM Shane74 or just order a set of these.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The cheap/SAFE way to get the lif you are after is to run a set of 1" AAL's in the front w/ a 1" extended shackle. Run a set of 1.5" AAL's in the rear. That will net you the 1.5" of lift you are looking for and not affect the ride quality.

Not trying to be a pushy salesman, but if you are interested, shoot me a PM. I'll see what I can do to hook you up with a package deal. We'll try and take some of the sting out of the pocket book after you just spent a bunch on a new suspension already.

10. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

day star makes extended shackles for 1 1/2" lift. plus zero rates in the front. and shackle flips in the rear. better than a a l's for sure. thats what i would do and you wouldnt be sacrificing anything really.

11. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the info guys but I have talked with Shane at Black Widow and will go with his suggestion this week.:D