Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add Oil Fill Tube To Edlebrock Performer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k10sub, Nov 7, 2002.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Data on manifold part no. 3701 says you can add an oil fill tube. A guy at Summit says this is done by drilling a hole near the thermostat flange - should be done by a machine shop!
    Anybody out there have any experience doing this or having it done? Looks like a threaded pipe with a threaded cap, like racing applications, would keep down some of the mess associated with valve cover caps.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Oil does not pass through the intake itself.
    But if you were to drill a hole entirely thropugh it (front top to bottom) you could use it as a fill hole since the oil would just drain down the valley.
    I'm not sure I'd want to use the intake as a filler. Oil is fairly thick and unless you want to take 30 minutes to add 5 quarts of oil after an oil change. you'd have to make it a somewhat large diameter hole.
    Sounds risky.
    If you don't want a seperate oil fill, just use your pvc valve hole. You should run a PVC anyway, so just pull the PVC valve and fill it through there.
    -- Mike

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the small block manifolds from '68 and earlier had an oil tube on the front center of the intake, in front of the thermostat housing, if you look in the jegs or summit catalog you can buy the chrome tube and cap as a dress up item. the tube presses into the intake, about a 1 1/4" hole (a guess), some tubes are made to use a slip in breather, other use a twist lock oil cap, it wouldn't be hard to make the hole in the aluminum intake, but being a press fit, it would have to be sized just right, it would probably be best to cut it a bit small, and sand/hone it to the right size.

4. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

or you could just get a manifold from a 283, that is where the filler is. It is done on my manifold (performer) due to having solid aluminum valve covers at one time. You can see it in my webshots. I don't have the valve covers anymore, too much blow back with no vents.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

the hole in my intake (edelbrock street master #3225)is 1.270 inch
    hope it helped a bit

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can (with some minor tweaking to make it a tight fit) get an extended oil fill for the valve covers to fit. I believe the application is for Buick 3.8L's.

The Chev motors with extended fill tubes are tack welded to the valve cover, and thus aren't a real good alternative. The Buick tube fits in the same hole for the cap, except its a LITTLE loose. You can tighten this up, but even slightly loose, very little oil (appears to be vapor actually) will leak out over a long period of time.