Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add-On Overdrive, such thing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 27, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hey is there such a thing as an add-on over drive?
    Like a doubler but with like a .75 ratio or something?
    So like in 3rd with the SM465, you can shift another lever that goes after the tranny to make the ratio .75 to make like a add-on overdrive? If so who makes this? If not... wouldnt it be a good idea? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Advance Adapters make one that goes between the trans and the bellhousing. It can be an overdrive or underdrive. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Another one is Gear Venders. It goes after the t-case so you can only use it in 2wd.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Gear Vendors makes a really nice unit, that can take a LOT of abuse. You can check 'em out here: http://www.gearvendors.com/ The bad news is that they run about $2,400. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"Diesel Dan" has a Gear Vendors for sale for about half what the factory wants.

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

US gear makes one that goes between the tranny and t-case, they're available as either under or over drive, and run about $2k.

Pete

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ack might as well get a new tranny. Thanks guys

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well the Ranger(~$1500usd) from AA and the USgear let you split any gear so you would have an 8 speed plus another 8 in Lo range
    I do not get the point of gearvendors hanging theirs off the back of the Tcase /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've been wanting a US gear unit for my PU for a while, just can't justify the cost. For that truck, I really don't care whether it goes between the cases or after the t-case, either way has advantages.

Between the US Gear and Gearvendors:

Gearvendors is reported to be MUCH smoother shifting, I think it is also easier to integrate for automatic shifting w/an auto trans. The two main things I don't like about are that it can't be used below ~30 mph (has an internal hydraulic pump that engages the cluth in the unit), and that it can't be used w/an exhaust brake. Which is why I want the US Gear, it doesn't have these limitations, although some say the shifting is harsh.

One advantage to the add on overdrive is that it allows you to split gears, which would be nice when towing, or as an "inbetween" gear in traffic, without having to shift through tons of gears every time, like if you were to swap in a 7 speed or similar.

Pete

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

The nice thing about the GV unit is you can shift under full power. It uses a planetary gear set like an auto trans, in constant mesh. The US gear unit actually shifts gears like a manual trans, thus making you get out of the throttle when shifting. I have a GV unit in a 1 ton crew cab and it splits gears great, not sure how the us gear would work as a gear splitter unless you were running a manual trans.

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I wonder how many miles you would have to drive before the unit started to pay for itself? Around the world? I read in a mag that a vehicle accidently engaged the gear venders unit in 4wd. It fishtailed like mad, but the unit did not break. It was a F350 dually.

12. Diesel Dan

You don't buy these units to pay them back with mileage gains. On the highway I did see up to 2 mpg gain with my unit. But before that my cruise speed was comfortable at 60mph, 4.10 gears, TH400,6.2L Diesel and 31s. With the GV unit it'll cruise at 70-75 no problem.

As far as engaging in 4wd. There is an input to the computer to not allow engagement when in 4wd, they must not have used it.

I guess the question is: How much is it worth to you to cruise at higway speeds?

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

14. Diesel Dan

Pete,

In your case the US gear would probably work good. I believe USG uses a 12 volt motor with an small screw to shift the gears. Just wonder how fast it shifts, if there is a lag then it could be anoying while trying to split gears.

15. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I don't want to change the topic or anything but do they make 10 speeds or I guess it would be a 5 speed with a splitter for pickups like they have in the 2.5 tons? I'd really like to get a older CC 1 ton and put a cummins in it with a tranny that shifts like an actual tractor trailer rig.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

But only in the autos. You gotta remember to clutch when engaging the OD unit, and you have to remember to disengage it when going under 25 miles an hour, or you get sharp disengage that isn't good for any of the drivetrain components. I'd go NV4500 before a GV unit. Slightly more total cost probably, but one unit without a bunch of additional wires. My dads doesn't even have the 4wd "lockout" and he couldn't run it if it did, but it still has a ton of wiring, as well as TWO in cab switches that IMO just add clutter.

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a ranger has no wiring no computer and you can shift it as fast as you want, also way cheaper then the other 2 for manual tranny guys.
    they used to offer an electric shifter for it, SWAT has a new complete Ranger with optional electric shift sitting on the floor of his shop that he has never used.

18. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Who is SWAT and is his ranger a overdrive or underdrive unit?