Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Add some lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Apr 25, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about added some more lift to my K5 and would like to know if anyone has any idea on how much higher my truck will be. I currently have a 4-inch BDS lift with rear blocks and stock rear springs and about 2 year old 33” Mud Kings.

I am thinking about going to a Homemade rear shackle flip and either 2 inch springs or blocks, or overload leafs and ORD 0-rates, giving about 5.5 or 6 in the rear. In front I was just going to add some Hill 4 Wheel Drive Extended Front Shackles giving the front about 5 to 5.5 lift. Last moving from 33s to 35s.

The reason I want to know how much higher I will be is because when I like to park my K5 in the garage at night with the top off and in the winter I like not have to strap windows. When I drive in my garage currently I pull in just fine. When I add this lift I would like to still have the roof clear the door and I have checked about how much room I have left. I have taken a 2X4 and placed it on the top as I drove in the garage and I clear on the 4 side. I do not think a 2x6 will clear, but I am going to try this. I do not have a problem with lowering the rear in the winter by lowering the tire pressure, as needed.

So moving from 4 inch lift to 5.5 or 6 inch lift I will added 2” and from old 33”s to new 35”s I will added about 1” to 1.5” so about 3.5. Should be the same a one 2X4 on its side,,, right?

What do you all think?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Are your tires really a full 33", and will the 35's be a true 35"? Most run a tad small. The lift springs could also run a little over the stated lift amount. There are enough variables involved that you could end up too tall or alright. Kinda a crap shoot if you are looking at clearing the top of your garage by an inch or less.

John

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

I know that 33 or more like 32.25 5468465132 and 35 or 34.23 2131534684132. also 2x4s or realy 1.5 X3.5s but just tring to get an idea. I think i am going to try a 2 X 6 and if that works i will do it.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I would think that if a 2x6 fits, you will probably be safe. Now I've got to catch up /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Remember a 2x4 is not truly those dimensions, only 1 3/8 x 3 3/8. I have an 86 K5 with a 4" lift (springs in front and blocks in rear) and 35" BFG mud terrains (still new tread depth). Most standard garage doors are 7 feet, but usually the door and/ or trim hangs down a bit and only opens to about 6' 10" or 6' 11". My garage door opening is 6' 11" and I have about an inch to spare. You would probably be cutting it too close especially since if you got new rear springs it might lift it more since your factory ones have probably sagged a bit. I guess some more exact measuring could tell you what you need.

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

I am going with new rear springs, i have some 2 inch RC used rear springs, or i was going to use one ORD 0 Rate and one overload spring should be about 1.5 or just inder 2 inch.