Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Added a stabilizer and was shocked

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caleb22, Jun 1, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I got my tools together and unboxed my Rancho steering stabilizer. My main purpose for adding it was to take away some of the sloppyness in the steering. So, hop on down with my tools in hand, slide under my Blazer, and I come across an old dirty stabilizer shock that is tied to the tie rod already, like it came from the factory. I put the Rancho one on anyways, but was wondering if that was a mistake. Should I rip off the Rancho and buy a replacement shock for the factory one? Will any shock work as a replacement?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

it must be a "no bias" shock to be used as a stabilizer (so you just let it sit there and it doesnt compress/extend)... unless you want to making an eternal right turn

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lol i was so pissed when i got home and opend the box orilleys gave me.

i was in a rush but i still shoulda checked it at the store.

"yea its a stabelizer shock, it says right here in the puter"

"i dont care what it says in the computer, will it work as a stabilizer in my truck."

"uuu lemme call a manager"

(supid fat women behind the couter at a parts store, cmon wtf is that)

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you are running stock size, or close to it, tires, you really only need one. The one from the factory is in the prime location, so it would be best to just get the factory replacemant. They are only $25 or so. But, since you have already purchased and installed the rancho one don't go spending any more money. You could just remove the factory one and see how you like the rancho one. Try pumping the old one from your truck. It should be hard to compress and extend. If it pumps easy it was bad. There is no reason to run two with small tires. The only reason to run duals is if you have larger tires, 35" and up, they will make the truck easier to control in the event of a blowout. Stabilizers should not be installed to make up for worn steering components.
    Sorry I chewed your ear up! :)

5. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

yep....adding a stabilizer is not going to fix your sloppy steering...i'd start looking at tie rods, pitman arm, gear box, rag joint, ball joints, and even wheel bearings

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont forget the frame section where the box bolts.:blush:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I replaced the factory one with a cheap Autozone replacement and it made a world of difference on the bump steer. It was about $20 and took 10 minutes.