Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding 2"s to rear lift ??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm running a 2.5" block, factory rear springs with a ORD 4" Shackle flip and stock shackles. One of my blocks are broken and I would like to do away with them all together. I can't see spending the money on a set of 2" rear lift springs, when there are other routes that I could go. My question is can I run the ford 57"ers and eliminate the blocks all together? I'm looking to be around the 6-7" lift range. If I run the Ford springs then that will move my axle back correct? I will also have to take the shackle flip off and swap sides also correct? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to have to change it up for awhile. Thanks.

2. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Anyone

No one can help me??????

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

IIRC you would have to get 2"-3" lifted Ford springs to get your 6"-7" of lift. I know the Ford springs seem to be quite a bit softer and tend to get axle wrap. I would try a set of 56" Chevy springs from a 3/4 ton truck since you would be able to remove some of the leaves until you got your desired lift. You could use a longer shackle and a 1" zero rate to get 6" of lift from those springs if you left most of the leaves in place.

I'm running 64" Chevy springs from a '92 Chevy 2wd pickup with a 2" block, shackle flip (close to ORD's 2") and an extended shackle. I have about 7"-8" of lift in the rear but the block is going and I'm going to move my shackle mounts for a slightly better angle. I needed the block to keep the springs level when I had a full body and hard top, now that I cut the body the springs have almost no weight over them I gained 2" of lift. :rolleyes:

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running stock 63s and 2" lowering shackles. Gave me about 5" of lift, could easily add a zero rate for another inch.

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You could probly get close to 2.5" with a Add-a-Leaf kit. Your using factory springs so a little more spring rate wont kill ya and be overly stiff. Or add a leaf and a zero rate.
    Or get creative with some shackles and spring mounts.

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Ford 57's are really soft, this is what happened to mine. I now have Alcan springs that are a couple of hundred pounds more spring rate than a Ford 57 but not as much as the Chevy 3/4 ton, still have the Chevy center pin distance and built at 57". I havent hat them on the trail or road yet.

Picture 550.jpg

Picture 551.jpg

Picture 552.jpg