Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding 4" lift, do I need new shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LAZYMON, Oct 26, 2000.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Adding 4\" lift, do I need new shocks?

I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer. I currently have RS500 shocks all around with no lift. My Tuff Country lift is here as well as my 35X12.5 ProComp MT's. Does Rancho have different part numbers for lifted trucks? Will my current shocks work? Do I need shock extenders? Help! It's snowing outside!
    Thanks.

Topless73

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Re: Adding 4\" lift, do I need new shocks?

Rancho 5112's are for the rear of the vehicle, and 5001 or 5118 are for the front. These are the Rancho part #s that were used with my recent 4" lift.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yes you will need new shocks. I just got some RS 9000s and the size is for a 2.5-4" lift. I can give you the part #s if you need them

90K5

4. LAZYMON

MO MONE, MO MONEY, MO MONEY
    Part numbers are good as well as suggestions on other brands. What about shock extensions for my current shocks?

Topless73

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

For my RS 9000s these are the PNs
    RS 9112=rear
    RS 9001=front lower
    RS 9118=front upper

I have quad front shocks, but if you don't then you dont need the RS 9118s. The lower is the one that goes between the brackets and the upper is the one that bolts on beside the bracket and only uses one side of it. If you are getting RS 5000s then the last three numbers should be the same. They don't make the RSXs long enough for a 2.5-4" lift. I hope this helps.

90K5

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

No offense, but wait unitl you have the money to do it right or don't do it. There are other things to consider because every K5 reacts differently to lifts and bigger tires. A lot of kits say these parts are optional, but may be necessary. Extended brake lines, steering arm or drag-link, and possibly extending your drive shafts.

7. LAZYMON

None taken. The money is there, no kids, no house, no car payments, no girl friend and Heavenly ski pass paid for. All I have left is to spend money on the truck and rent. I've also bought the steering arm and brake lines, plus the ORD steering brace. For some reason I thought I could use my shocks I had. http://partsamerica.com has 25% off purchases so I guess I need to decide between the 5000 or 9000 series Ranchos or another brand.

Topless73