Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding A/C

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, May 31, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

My blazer came factory with no AC. How difficult is it to add the AC? I know that I need all the parts in the engine area. Do I need to buy a new heater control panel for inside the truck as well? any info would be appreciated.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

The only thing difficult is the patients involved in doing it. I'v done it in camaros and I guess it took about a day to pull everything apart and put it back together.

Yes, there is a different control for a/c vehicals. Your best bet is to find a complete a/c system and pull all of it. I would pull every single piece to the vent system just to make sure you don't have to do any extra parts chasing.

Also, if you can't get your hands on some r12 you might want to think about a r134 system instead...

Get these new if you can:

orafice tube = $10 to $20

Accumulator = Less than $50??????????? Do not use a used one that has had the lines open or has no freon in the system.

O-Ring kit = a few bucks

Compressor = about $150 or so

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You need AC controls, harness, compressor (& brackets), underdash ducting, underhood fan plenum, fan, heater core, dash bezel, evaporator, condensor, dryer, and the vacuum pots that actuate the cowl and kick-panel vents.

You also need to fill the old hole in the firewall and chop a new one. I went from AC to non-AC - here's a few pics.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Piece I cut out:
    [​IMG]