Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adding a military wrap leaf...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Since I am going to run longer than stock springs in the front and rear... and I don't really like either of the common spring clamps (folded don't let the leaves come apart... bolts become a shear point for breakage)... I am considering taking my main leaf from each pack down to the local spring shop and having them knock out a military-wrap style leaf for them. Anyone done this? Seems like it would be a good compromise, and protect against main-leaf breakage under severe-droop conditions. Might even help slow down axle wrap a little bit. Not sure if the extra leaf would clear the stock front spring mounts or not though. Anyone tried this? Thinking 56s in the front and rear...

j

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

The extra leaf should clear no problem, My 4" front BDS springs have the millitary wrap and it fits fine.

3. jekbrown

thats good to know. :thumb: Might cause some problems on the shackle end if the clearances are tight there though. Guess I'd just have to try it out. How about the front mount on the rear springs? Doesn't seem like there was much room on top of the leaf eye from what I remember...

j

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

my POOcomps have a miiltary wrap on them too, and no clearance issues. As a matter of fact when I swap in my 52's, which will be soon, I was planning on taking them to the spring shop and having them do that military wrap. I was talking to the man (stephen @ ORD) and he thought that was a good idea, he doesnt like to run rear springs up front mainly because of that reason of no mil wrap.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its not the extreme droop that kills the springs. Its the fact that if you get wedged up against something it tries to push the axle back. With the soft springs it just fans out the pack and bends the main leaf.
    In our group we all clamp the main leaf to the leaf below it.
    Let me find a pic of what im talking about, a pic is worth a thousand words in this case:D

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Here you can kind of see them in this pic.
    Basically its 2 pieces of 2"x1/4" strap. Clamps the main leaf to the leaf below it with 2 3/8" bolts.
    Everyone runs them front and rear and hasnt had a bent spring yet (used to bend a spring every trip).
    [​IMG]

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Those Rancho 4" Pre-Run front springs I mentioned in the leaf spring rate thread have a partial military wrap leaf. From the way it is configured it looks like anti-wrap is it's primary intent.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like that idea. Simple and cheap.:waytogo:

9. jekbrown

simple and cheap is good... and I won't have to worry about clearance between the extra leaf and the frame under full compression either. Thanks for the pic. :thumb:

j