Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding A Second Center Pin

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by DPI, Feb 14, 2001.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    What do you think of drilling a second hole through the spring to add a second centering pin? Will this weaken the spring too much? I am curious because I need to relocate my rear axle about 1.5" toward the rear of the vehicle.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I wouldn't drill a second hole, for one thing it would be really hard on bits, but more seriously, if your ubolts were ever loose you would start to work the material with the hole in it and it wouldn't take long for it to break. I tighten ubolts every day under hard wheeling use, they loosen up all the time when they have a lot of stress on them, so it's not an unheard of situation.
    When the ubolts are tight, the area between them is technically a "dead" zone, the spring material in there doesn't do anything but connect the two active ends of the spring. But if the bolts aren't clamping that area tight, that doesn't apply.
    We're looking at doing some relocating blocks, so we may have a bolt in solution for you in the next couple of weeks. 1 1/2" in the rear should work pretty well with your upper plate, since you have to drill a hole in it to clear the original center pin.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD