Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adding aftermarket oil and tranny coolers to the big block, cooling too

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Jul 30, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I tow very heavy with my v3500 big block 454/th400 crewcab and it gets mighty hot... I would like to add coolers to both the tranny and oil in addition to the factory setup.... anyone done this? what did you use... how did it help?
    I would also be interested if anyone has put in a larger aftermarket radiator than chevys hd factory one... track gets HOT in 100 degree weather ... already have aux fans, super pump, and everything is like new... with really low miles (40k)
    thanks
    cam

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Best bet would be a B&M #70266 for both tranny and oil cooler. This is the exact cooler that GM used for factory engine oil coolers with the exception of the B&M having female pipe thread attaching points rather than the O-ring type sealing that GM used. These are LONG brand oil coolers sold under the B&M name.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: adding aftermarket oil and tranny coolers to the big block, cooling too *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

4. camiswelding

thanks for the suggestions...
    the oil cooler would require an adapter at the filter ...correct?
    cam

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That would be correct and you can get that new from the dealer or used at the local wreckers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: adding aftermarket oil and tranny coolers to the big block, cooling too *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3

7. camiswelding

harry ...you read my mind... my truck does have the factory tranny cooler and even though it is specd by the build plate as having an oil cooler ...there isnt one there and its bone stcok...
    I already went to summit after our last post and ordered their tranny cooler (30000 gvw) and oil cooler with adapter kit... it compared to the B and M you both spoke of but was way cheaper...
    Im going to fab up a bracket to hold both of them and mount the whole thing in between the frame rails just in front of the front crossmember.. behind my ord steering brace kit...
    then Im going to remove the front plate and put some air holes in the front bumper in the appropriate places to get sufficient cooling to the setup... for winter ops Ill make a cover so no air passes across the coolers...
    theyll be here wednesday and Ill let you know how they compare to b and m's stuff......Im ususally really happy with summit quality as most of their stuff is just the name brand stuff rebadged with their own name/logo
    cam