Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding an extra seat?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Dec 23, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone added an extra seats or bench seat behind the original back seat?

If it breaks, upgade it.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There isn't much room back there. If you've ever sat in the 3rd row of a suburban, you know that that floor is only about 8 inches lower than the seating surface. You could raise a seat up a bit off the floor, but then you start getting into headroom issues. It would probably only be usable for young kids. You might want to look into seats from the back of an extended cab pickup since they have such small depth.

If you only need one more seat, you could use a seat that bolts in place of the center console up front or put in a bench seat.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about this too. something for the kids. like the rear seat of the suburban, where it just comes out rather than folds up.
    i wonder if you could just put in the hold down points from a sub in the floor of a k5?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had wondered about replacing my back seat with buckets...but since I only put my back seat in on rare occasions, it wouldn't be worth it to me....I have an 89 and a 79...the back seat for the 79 is out and has Never been sat on since new...JD

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Back seat???????[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I could put one right on top of my fuel cell and toolbox. haha. I had thought about doing that myself before I bobbed the truck and moved the gas tank to the bed. Go for it, I think it would be cool and if you didnt like it, it could always come out right?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

7. Jackson 88K5

Yeah, If you were a kid wouldn't it be cool to sit all the way in the back? Thats what my kids want [​IMG].

If it breaks, upgade it.

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I saw a K5 once with a J**p rear seat mounted behind the stock seat facing towards the rear. He had it mounted up higher for footroom. It only looked like it was room enough for some kids.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

why do you need a 3rd seat?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

10. Jackson 88K5

At diffrent times of the year my wife and I host international children for several weeks and I have three already, so I need more seating (seat belt law ) I know I got pulled over today for it, the cop didn't give me a ticket but wished me a Merry Christmas and told me to get my boys out of the back and into the seats.

If it breaks, upgade it.

11. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Try s10 jump seats out ofa ex cab

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I've thought about this one since the day I had my nephews in the back one day,...7 or 8 ppl. total w/the top off on an easy trail cruise with never a chance of rolling. IF you cheated the rear seat forward a bit and put a rear facing seat behind it.. with the appropriate rollover protection it would rock. Or ya MIGHT even have room for a forward facing seat if the back of it was against the rear gate. Maybe an S-10 seat, since it might need notches to clear the wheel-wells.

"I'm not stuck...I just dropped my beer in my lap"

13. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

you could try tinting the windows so that the police can't see inside

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

[​IMG]

14. Oddball

Oddball Registered Member

I dont know how much space you will need.
    Seating for kids ?
    How abouth a seat from Volvo series ? They have a small fold seat mounted Backwards behing the rear seat in their stationwagon series 245 ,745 . Or small flip seats mounted on your rear seat ? It couldt be hard to get something like that ?

My K4 77 is a six seater at the moment... Bench in front and rear... I have the original seat's and consoll, but like the bench at the moment... fully adjustable and flips over to get access to rear seat...

1977 K5 " Earthquake "

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my kids dig riding in the back, too. i know it's safest for them to be belted in, but when we're close to home, i'll take the back roads and let them climb back there.
    i thought about drilling some holes in the floor, and dropping some bolts through some big-assed washers. or a piece of plate steel across the width of the seat under the floor. whatever the logistics will allow. the belts shouldn't be too difficult to mount, either.
    i think something would have to be done about heads against the rear glass or tailgate. i'm not sure if i've measured the heighth of all that...
    since it'll most likely be kids or drunk friends riding in that seat, leg room won't be an issue.
    definitely keep us posted if you start this project, i'll do the same.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by delta9blazer on 12/29/00 05:52 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I added a 3rd seat. No wait! I bought a Suburban! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>