Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding anti-friction pads. Have some ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Sep 5, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I took my front 4" springs apart and want to install the anti-friction pads. It appears the holes in the springs needs to be 7/16" dia. What type of bit do I need? Cobalt..Titanium tip??

How far in from the tip of the spring should it be to the hole center? I thought about taking the average of all the existing wear marks and use that as hole location.

Do you run any lube on the springs? (grease for the pads to ride on?)

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just put strips of UHMW-PE between each leaf in my springs. Wont cold flow like teflon will, works great. Pretty sure there are some pics in my webshots that shows what it looks like.

j

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Put them in so that the plastic pad sticks out just a bit. In other words drill the hole just less than 1/2 of the diameter of the pads.

The best case in drilling these is to have a drill press that can spin real slow. You want to spin the drill like 200rpm. If you can spin it that slow and use a good cutting oil you might be able to do it with just one or two drill bits. If you have to buy a drill bit you want to buy a Masonry bit (for drilling concrete...they are carbide tipped). I went through about 8 drill bits when I did mine (including one cobalt one...it did last a bit longer). You don't have to worry too much about the bit getting dull...just breaking the tip off (I had problems with this because I hand drilled them).

It ended up being a huge PITA! If I was to do it again I would get the roll of sticky backed UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyetholine...or whoever you speeel it). It does ride nicer now!

You also don't want to put any grease on them when you are done. It will just attract dirt and wear into your springs. You might want to look into some tractor "lubriplate" type paint for the leaves.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Where does one get this said slippery creature?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Any place that makes or repairs springs will have the pads. Look under "Springs" in the Yellow Pages to see if there's such a place near you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Or if you want to pay too much for them, you can get them from a Chevy dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

There's a local place here that sells the pads for 79 cents to about $3 each, depending on what style you want. But they quoted me $5 per hole to punch my springs. I needed 10 holes per side, so we're talking $100 plus the cost of the pads. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I won't be doing that, since I can just buy a new set of front springs, with new bushings and the pads for about $200. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

An option a friend of mine hit on that works exceptionally well is to use a hammer drill motor, like what you'd use for drilling concrete. I don't understand why it works so well, but since it does I really don't care.

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.
    I stopped by the local Sport Truck shop a couple weeks ago.
    I asked if they could get me leaf anti-friction pads. They said he could get the round disk ones and some other material that went between the leafs really cheap. I ordered 18 of the little pads and I also got some flat material that lays between the leafs. I didnt get enough flat material to lay the complete length cuz they said it only needed to be 4-6" in length at the leafs ends.
    The order came to $35 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The discs and flat strip material looks like a hard black plastic. I have smoothed down all the rough edges on the leafs and sanded the mating "rub" areas and the metal-to-metal surfaces slide nicely now. Looks like I could just put some lube there and let it go.

If the pads or flat material is a hard plastic, I dont see how it could slide easier than the two smooth lubed metal surfaces. Anyways, dont know if this is the UHBWFTEXU? stuff or not. They said this is the stuff there guys use when rebuilding.

A friend of mine has a drill press and offered to let me use it. Said to get some Titanium tipped bits. This may be more work than what its worth. At lease the factory rears have pads /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif