Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding Axle Shims ..... Should I Relocate Too?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I will be adding axle shims soon, and was wondering if I should move the 14B/FF back an inch while I'm at it.

Moving it back will give me a better departure angle, but will it introduce any problems? I was looking at a-tron's tapered blocks to do the angle, 1" lift, and axle relocate (if I decide to do it) all with one product.

Thoughts?

Thomas.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Other than stretching you brake line, ebrake cable a little further and extending your driveline out a bit more when your flexed out, most of which wont be a problem unless your already pushing thier capabilities.

3. Stoopalini

Ok, makes sense. The brake lines and e-brake lines have plenty of slack, so no problems there. I had the driveshaft extended recently, so I should be ok there too.

I do have another question on the proper degree shims, but I'll start another post discussing this.

Thanks for your info,
    Thomas.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just installed the A-tron axle shims today and moved my rear axle back 1.5".
    I have a shackle flip and it was too far forward, so to me moving it back was mandatory. For non-shackle-flipped trucks, I'd say to measure it first - is your tire square in the wheelwell, or does it need to move back the 1"?
    A-tron's quality and attention to detail are very apparent when you look at the shims/blocks. In the A-tron banner ad that comes across the screen, I'm pretty sure those are my blocks in the ad. And they even asked how thick my spring pack was and sent me the perfect length centering pins.
    A+, from my experience.
    -- Mike

5. Stoopalini

Tat's a good point. I forgot about the shackle flip moving the axle forward. I don't know if the tire is square in the wheel well because I chopped the rear of it off.
    [​IMG]

From the looks of it though, I could definitely move it back 1.5"; if not only to compensate for the shackle flip, but to give a better departure angle.

Oh, and thanks for the info on A-tron.

Thomas.