Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding crossmember to Burb frame...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of adding two bolt-in crossmembers to my Burbs frame to improve frame stiffness. I was thinking on the 2nd body mounts underneath the back of the front door and one more above the rear axle....What do you guys think?

Anyone want these when I'm done, I may just fabricate some for sale...

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i have been pondering this for a while to. because are trucks are so long i think some "well placed" braces would be great.. crossmembers are a good idea. but what do you think of boxing the frame also? maybe its overkill /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

back before i redid the mounts, i pulled a few of them right out, after getting twisted up. so there's a ton of stress on those few points where they mount. maybe trying to add a few more body mounts along with some nice crossmembers would save us from boxing the frame? i'd say throw in those crossmembers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looking at the 60's convertible car frames, a giant "X" brace would probably do the most good on our trucks. Of course, that won't happen.

IMO you need to tie the frame rails together in multiple spots, and a flat crossmember isn't going to help much, it will just twist. It would need to be something other than flat to resist the twisting our frames do.

Roll cages do a good job of tying the frame together.