Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding fluid capacity to hydro assist steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Nov 23, 2005.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Would there be any down side to adding a cooler and or a filter set up to a regualr system that has the longer tube to the res.?

I'm looking at just adding a longer tube to the filler/dipstick and then maybe a filter kit.

2. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Should be just fine. I would think it would help it run cooler too.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have run a rail type tube fin cooler and the longer rubber hose tube for extra capicity for a while with no issues. I also just added a one of these filters a couple months ago. I think a filter is a must. Especially with the WTO setup with the older style ram...

The filter was $12.99 + Shipping from Northerntool.com. Local farm stores also carry them.

[​IMG]

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use a tube type cooler instead of the stacked plate type as apparently they're easier to bleed. If you find a '91 or there abouts K5 with tow pack at a junk yard they have a tube cooler under the rad.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you go to the BBC's remote res type pump body you can make or find any size reservoir that you want.

A friend cut the cap 'bung' off one of his spare 'canned ham' pump bodies and found a piece of hydro oil compatible hose. Hoser clamped the bung in one end and clamped the hose down over the original bung. Didn't add a lot of fluid, but it got the cap up higher.

I see the filter as a good thing and the cooler as mandatory with hydro assist.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Shouldn't be a problem using both a cooler and a filter + the radiator hose filler neck trick. Steering boxes can make crazy heat fast. I have a smallish tube/fin cooler on my K5 and it has worked ok... but as soon as I install my big B&M stacked plate on my th400, the big tube/fin cooler I currently have on my tranny is going over to my steering system. Never can have too much cooling or too much fluid in the steering system.

j

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd caution on using radiator hose unless you've done it with a particular brand hose and know it works. Some radiator hose rubber doesn't work well with holding oil for long term.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard that a rad hose can "sweat" tranny fluid right through it. I suppose anything is possible, but I haven't noticed this on the rad hose I have on my filler neck... and its been there for 3+ years now. If it ever does leak, np... rad hoses are cheap/common.

j

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the stuff I sold ya jek won't leak, it's rated for gas filler line. same stuff I'm putting on mine.

10. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i took a stock big block remote can,,cut off both ends,then went to the exaust shop and had a piece of 3" exaust toob flared out on both ends to fit the caps then welded it back together..its about 10" long now seems to be working fine i also have a cooler and a filter ..the filter is the style thats inline made for tranny applications with a magnet in it..kinda looks like a fuel filter...pm me if ya want pics of it...