Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding Handles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jun 28, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have seen handles that fit on the rearward side of the door frame. It looks like they would be very handy for getting in and out. Anybody know about these? I have seen two trucks around town with them. Also, I would like to add some kind of "panic bar" on the inside of my truck for the passenger to hang on to. Any suggestions?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I want to somehow mount a bar on the dash for people to hold on to. Does anybody know if this is possible or just too much trouble?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

dont you have O' sh!t handles in the top of your cab but a bar on the dash would be nice

[​IMG]Go prepared

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on making one from 1.25" tubing and bolting it to the dash above the glove box. It will probably mean cutting a couple notches in the vinyl dashpad but that's no big deal.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

5. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have thought of putting a bar on the dash, but that entails reaching pretty far forward. I would like ot have something above the window on the passenger side. How this is that metal? There are two screws in it now that hold on the plastic interior dressing, so I was thinking of using those holes nad just making them bigger. Maybe tomorrow I'll head to the boneyard and check out a wrecked truck and see...Anyone know where the stock ones go?

6. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

wonder if you could rig up something for the poor fellows in the back....they don't even have the air conditioner.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    iF YOU HAVE A ROOL BAR OR CAGE A COUPLE MONTHS AGO IN 4 WHEEL AND OFF ROAD THEY HAD GRAB HANDLES ADVERTISED THAT WERE MADE OF NYLON OR SOMETHING IF ANYONE WANTS I WILL LOOK IT UP.

8. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put a handle on the drivers side interior roof, like the one on the passenger side of the later model K5s?

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I've got the "handles" on both sides of my truck on the main pilar. I never use them for getting in and out of my truck....I ususally use the steering wheel. The passengers always complain that it's awkward to get in and out...a " oh sh!t bar on the dash would probably help with getting in from that side. You could probably buy the kind jeeps use from a jc whitney catalog...or I've got a whole bunch of jeep catalogs too if you need. My '89 also has the oh sh!t bars inside too....1 above the passenger front and one on both sides of the topper in the rear....wouldn't be too difficult putting another on the drivers side, just need to find a n ice thick, short, self tapper, and an oh sh!t bar from the junk yard.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

10. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I was thinking if we put a bar across the dash let's say in an accident what would happen, I mean other than smashing our heads on the bar and breaking our nose or teeth, I know we have seat belts but do they always work ***NOT*** about 3 years ago I was riding with my friends and we were involved in an accident he hit the steering wheel and almost broke his nose the seat belts were working the truck was fairly new but at that moment the belts didn't work, just something to think about especially if you guys have little kids.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe some kind of padding would keep the injuries to a minimum?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]