Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding hydro assist steering!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by hipurr72, Apr 2, 2007.

1. hipurr72

hipurr72 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys,[​IMG]

I currently have power steering and hydro boost brakes on my 72 Blazer. What needs to be done to have my system work with hydro assist steering? Bigger pump, etc? Any fedback would be appreciated!
    Jim

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I too have hydroboost and have been researching hydro steering. What I've found is that some people can run assist and hydroboost with no issues, but other can't. At best it sounds like 50/50 odds.

The rub is that the hydro assist requires flow. Hydroboost requires pressure. What happens is that the hydroboost often restricts the flow for the hydro assist ram.

There is a company called Vanco Power Brake Supply, vancopbs.com, that will do a "high-flow" modification to your hydrost unit. The high-flow costs $180 and they also rebuild it for $100. They will not high-flow it without rebuilding it.

Your other options is to run 2 pumps. Willyswanter here on CK5 did it. Most of his info is on Pirate4x4, though.

Or you could install it and take a shot you're one of the few that can get away with it.

3. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I have also seen people cut the top of a PS pump and add a radiator hose. The length is about 8-10 inches with the neck of the PS pump at top, this allows a lot more flow which in turns add pressure. If I am wrong someone correct me.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It doesn't add flow, only more fluid volume. Helps the system to run cooler and better with additional loads such as hydro-assist and hydroboost.

5. Krazy Kid

Krazy Kid 1/2 ton status

Well, I'll put my two cents in. I have the redneck ram set-up on mine and a mile marker 10'500 hydro winch. The best thing I done WAS to run two pumps. The guys at west texas off-road said that it can be done with hydro brakes but it's better to seperate the two.

6. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    well this should have gone under the garage section, but one thing is that the pump is the one that usually suffers due to the flow. that's probably one of the main factors of people having difficulties. you upgrade the booster, you upgrade the steering box, you use a big ram for the assist, but leave the PS pump alone...c'mon something's gotta give.