Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding Leaves to the Front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Aug 5, 2004.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I got some early 90's chevy rear leaf springs for free and would like to add some of those leaves to the front of my 88 Jimmy. I'm looking for a 3-4 inch lift. In the front i was thinking of 2 extra leaves and a 1 or 2 inch block and in the back i'm just gonna put in a 3 or 4 inch block.
    Basicly my question is how many leavesshould I put in and do you guys see any big problems with this.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

blocks in the front is very dangerous. do not do that.

the springs you got for free are 63" springs, the front springs on our truck are 47". there is no way you will be able to put the leaves from those onto your front springs. you could cut the leaves but you wouldn't get minumul lift from them. you would actually need 4" lift springs.

the back sounds fine.

3. nemesis_pyros

One of the leaves is about 44 inches or so and i was figuring on cutting one down and put them both under there.
    This may sound stupid but whats so bad about small blocks under the front i've seen it done and its not that much, not like 4 inch blocks in the back.

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

the blocks u have probably seen are actually zero rate addaleafs which look like little blocks but are actually tied into the leaf pack....as for doing an adda leaf type lift up front...its gonna be stiff as hell...yer better off for a cheap lift...buying some used 4" front springs off the for sale board then doing a homebrew shackle flip in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i added 3 leaves from a 4 inch spring onto a 6 inch spring to try and level out with my 4 inch block and shackle flip, but that temparary untill i get 2 inch rear springs and new 6 inch fronts, and i wouldnt recomend it, very very rough ride

6. nemesis_pyros

Smprider112 I like the idea of the home brew shackle flip. I'm not new to modifacations of fabrication I have a 49 chevy p/u that my dad and I hotrodded, its real low and has a 454 in it so i'm not at all afraid of cutting and welding. Any info or pics on a shackle flip would be awsome. Also how is the strength of these flips is it still as strong as the factory setup

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

yer in luck...theres a good write up right here
    Shackle flip
    and if ya still have questions, just ask...mine has a homebrew flip on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif