Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adding power features to a non power 79 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

Hey all, I just joined Coloradok5, and was wondering if any of you guys(or gals) knew if it was possible to swap for a power rear window from a non power, or add power windows and door locks for the cab.... id kinda like to add these features to my baby (1979 305 K5 with only 30,000 miles. honestly)
    I'd also like to get dual exhaust, but don't really know all that much about which company is best for doing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifthat. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif any insight would be greatly appreciated, please email comments to quigley.35@osu.edu thanks all

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dual exhaust for older trucks isn't real fancy or nice. Summit and JCWhitney have some but they are just crappy turbo mufflers and never include cats or anything so they aren't emmissions legal. I replaced my rear crank gate with a power gate. I don't know about replacing hte internals I replaced the whole gate because mine was rusted out.

3. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

do you have the procedures for doing so? if so id really appreciate it, cuz mine is getting rusty and id like to get another one, do i just have to junkyard search and buy a different tailgate and rewire it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

To be honest, I wish my 84 didn't have all the power options. I have had a few problems with the power windows/door locks as the truck gets older- mostly with the wiring- and the rear window mechanism needs a yearly cleaning/greasing to work properly(that might have something to do with the our harsh winters, though).

There have been more than a few times I wished the 84 had good old manual door locks and window cranks. FWIW, I have a 59 GMC pickup and the manual windows and locks still work fine..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Can Can

Sorrry, I missed the dual exhaust question.

Any good exhaust shop should be able to custom bend you a nice dual setup. What kind of dual system do you have in mind?

Welcome to CK5, BTW!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

i was just looking for a new exhaust system, headers and all and two pipes, since its not yet 25 years old, i still need a catalytic converter.... any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Can Can

Well, since I don't have to deal with emissions, I can't tell you what your local laws dictate as illegal equipment.

But if I was designing a dual system for a 350 with cats, I would go with headers, 2 1/4" pipes(maybe 2 1/2 depending on your engine output), high flow cats, and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. If you want a really loud exhaust, you could consider Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, but the Super Turbos flow better and aren't as "barky".

One more hint - search for "dual exhaust" using the search option and I can guarantee you'll come up with hours of good reading.....

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I'm half done adding power windows and locks to my 79K5. First thing you need is the actually power harness that runs underneath the dash pad....it has two relays.....one for the locks....and is hooked to B+.....and the other is hooked to switched power. There is a difference between the 78 wiring and the 79 to 91 wiring...78 was the first year for the option....and the wiring kinda sucked....so in 79 things changed for the better... you will have to have the oem wiring diagram to see this. After you get the donor harness in you will have to drill holes in the a pillar to route the door harness...have'nt made it that far just yet...this weekend will be a factory oil cooler...p/s cooler from a 74 C10...and put the damn grille back in.

Azblazer

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First all Welcome... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have Power stuff on my truck....its nice when its workin'...but I'm pullin'it!!!
    I just spent too much time keepin'em goin'... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I put Hedman headers and flowmasters on my purple truck... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    There isn't much room for converters...I'd get the small high performance ones. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    [​IMG]

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

your lucky my rear window needs greasing and cleaning every couple weeks not yearly!