Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding sunroof to cab...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Hey guys this k5 I'm looking at is a Silverado but does not have a sunroof. I'm thinking about buying a parts truck which does have a sunroof and transplanting it. Any thoughts?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

why not just buy an aftermarket sunroof ? be easier/ in better shape.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind if/when looking at aftermarket sunroofs, the cheaper the price..the more prone they are to leaking.

4. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Quick question, did the K5's come with sunroofs OEM? Now that I think about it the one off the parts truck may be aftermarket. I'm not sure though.

5. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i put an after market one on my 79, it dosnt leak, but i got it towed home when it wasnt lifted, so the put it on the truck backwards and i forgot to lock it and it blew open and i lost it. so ive been driving around with a piece of aluminum duct taped to the roof for about 6 months now:D

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd advise against it. I've done nothing but fight with the one the PO put in.

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

more than likely dealer added or owner added.

it sounded like in your original post that you were thinking just because it is a silverado it should have one ? IF so, that is not the case.

8. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Well heres a pic of the s/r in the parts truck:

[​IMG]

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM didn't put them in the trucks.

I'd recommend against it. They can be installed ok, but OEM installs are MUCH different than aftermarket (better) and can't be duplicated with an aftermarket sunroof, at least the ones I've seen installed.

K5's have enough leak points as it is, a sunroof is just asking for more.

One of my previous cars had a sunroof in it that leaked...no replacement gasket from what I could find, so only option was to cut a larger hole and go with another sunroof. If you even consider swapping one, you had better find out if new gaskets are available.

Just my opinions, based on my experiences and a few others.

10. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Never mind, I lost the bid for the parts truck. Grrr. Oh well, on the bright side I wont have a roving piece of crap sitting in the front yard.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not as good as you'd think!

I put a sunroof in a 72 K5 I had a long time ago--thought it was the balls --until I turned a left corner after a rainstorm overnight,and about a cupfull of water poured right into my crotch!:mad: --wasnt much fun going to work looking like I wet my pants!:blush: :blush: --I tried silicone,caulking strips,etc,but it was the window itself that leaked I guess..I hated that damm sunroof with a passion after a month or so,especially when some crook knew how easy it was to remove,and climbed right in and stole my radio,speakers and tapes!:mad: --he was nice enough not to smash it or take it with him though(he must have known how much they suck already!)-

-another thing I didnt like was the sun always "flashing" in your eyes while driving,very annoying and dangerous at times--my VW jetta had a metal "slider" sunroof that never leaked a drop,and it blocked out the sun when closed,it was a good design--but I'll never put an aftermarket one in any of my trucks again--oh,they weaken the roof quite a bit too,the fiberglass roof in my 72 K5 used to jiggle up and down whenever the truck was moving--I'm glad I never rolled it(came close a few times!)....:crazy:

12. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If you are ever going to put a sun roof in...not sure how good the aftermarket ones are. But the way we've done them is get them from another car that has the same sizes roof. For instance, for a large older impala...the ones from the Lincoln Town Cars (both big roof cars) work nice. Different style cars have different size roofs. Just make sure your roof will allow full travel of the sunroof. You can get all of the pieces, glass, tracks etc out of the donor car and then you have all factory stuff. I've seen some aftermarket ones that leaked, didnt work well, etc. The ones off of sunroof factory cars always worked great.

Actually now that I think about it, you probably want the non moving or moon roof...not the electric sliding one like I am thinking about. It wouldnt even fit in a K5. Disregard my post:grin::grin:

13. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

I put a huge sunroof in my shell. I have people tell me all the time that it is as factory looking as anything they have seen. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will show it. It is about 3'x5'. I will snap some shots.

14. Logan

Logan Registered Member

Like a screen door on a submarine!

I've got that very same sunroof in my '84.

It keeps the rain out *almost* as well as mosquito netting.

-Al.