Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adding the Rubicon Trail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have a few questions for you all that know the rubicon. First how long does it take to run, and second who wants to take me on it??? :D I decided since I have a month off of work and enough cash to get me by that this year I will hit the blazer bash then vegas until oct 8th and then off to run the rubicon if I can find one of you guys to take me through it. This is a huge trip as I am coming from Canada and I really hope I can find a couple of members who have the time to show me whats up.

My schedule is flexible so please let me know if you are available even close to this time. This would be huge for me and I would love the opportunity to meet more members as well as run a world famous trail.

I might or might not be able to get to a computer in the next two weeks but please post up anyways and I will get a hold of you when I can. Thanks brothers.

Oh and by the way I will be locked front and rear by the time this hits so I will be able to run damn near anything out there. Ask the BB boys for confirmation that I can drive that rig damn near anywhere I point it :tongue1: :waytogo: :deal: (whether my truck has any right being there or not lol)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

to the top

Come on guys there has to be some ck5ers that wanna run the rubicon :deal:

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i wanna do it but i need a d60 first. find me a d60 and i will take out my k5 and we can go...

4. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Just got done with the Rubicon 2 weeks ago. If you can wait till next summer, my group and I have decided to do it once a year. It's so much fun. I did it in my fullsize with a bunch of Toyotas and one Jeep. You WILL need and use rock slides, very often. PM if that is not to late for you, I would LOVE to run it again and with a fellow fullsize.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

what are the specs on the rig u drove? tires and stuff? can u post some pics of it? i really want to do it too but need the front axle and i have the money saved up for tires. what size is needed?

6. 79chevyk10

Running a 12blt with 4.56's detroit HD superior axles rear, D44 lockright chromos, ctm's front. 36's sx's. FUN. All three Toyota's broke, but no me. hee hee.

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

wow, only a half ton...on 36s...well, if you can do it like that then maybe i will order my 39.5 and run those on my 14bff and 10bfront. what kind of suspension do you have...i always thought the rubicon needed something outrageous....

8. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

There are some local guys who have ran the rubicon in there jeeps with 32" tires.. you can check out some pics on their club website
    www.sierrastompers.org

9. 79chevyk10

DO NOT PUT 39.5's on a 10 bolt front. The key to half ton is keeping the tires to within the axles strenght. Do no more than 37's to keep from breaking. You don't "need" 39.5's. I did it on 36's, even did the Soup Bowl. Took the bypass on Little Sluice though. Cadillac Hill was so much fun going up. Our group took 2 nights and 2.5 days to do the trail and we took our time. Even camped at Buck Island Lake and swam and had good grub that night. Be prepared to poop in a bucket. lol

10. PsychoticDeadGuy

well, i plan on swapping in a D60 and dont want to have to buy 2 different sets of tires...it will be on 39.5 when its a full 1 ton...i have 33s...how would that do if the front and rear were locked?

11. 79chevyk10

hummmm. 33's on a full width axle would be very tough on Gate Keeper. I'd say minimum 35's. Rear diff clearence will be an issue. I got hung up a couple of times on 36's and a 12 blt. Nothing that the front locker could not drag me over though. 33's and a winch, you got it.

12. PsychoticDeadGuy

all right...so when would everyone be going out...maybe i will find a D60 by the time you go out...

13. 79chevyk10

End of August. We did it on the last weekend this year. Even if you don't have the D60 front. Run it anyway and we will fix you chit out there. I have all kind of spare parts for 1/2 ton. :D

14. 79chevyk10

BTW I saw a 75 ish F150 swb on 39.5 Iroks do the Rubicon without problems. He had a D44 front on coilovers.

15. PsychoticDeadGuy

ya, im a full time student and will be going off to wyotech in sacramento next summer. i am a senior in HS right now. so i am and will be really low on money but i will try to get everything done by the time i move out...so i wont have to worry about breaking stuff.

16. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Go here and check under the upcoming events and make a new post on your trip idea and there might be a few that want to go back ..They will be getting back tonight so the trip reports should start going up soon.. :D

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/

17. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

A guy i bought a dana 60 from, he ran a dana 44 with 42 swampers on the con and didnt brake it, but he was also open. I haven't talked to him much about it, but i'm sure he had a fun time with the open front.