Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Additional Crossmember

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ccj8008, Oct 12, 2001.

1. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Apr 2, 2001
    Getting ready to install my doubler between my SM465/NP205 on my 76 shortbox. I agree that an additional crossmember is required. Living out in the sticks, there aren't any machine shops around. Stephen, can you sell me one? What about a skidplate the attaches to the crossmember?
  2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    At this point, we're kind of maxed out in the shop and I have a pending new kid, so I can't say that we'll be able to do anything other than our normal stuff for a while. But, you can get by with running just the crossmember under the Doubler mounting foot without much problem. The extra crossmember is good for added support and skidplating, but isn't absolutely necessary for it to function in every day driving. So you could get by for a while and find someone to fab the crossmember, or maybe we can get some pre fabbed pieces to make the process easier. I'm not sure about a full crossmember due to the differences in frame width, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

It took me nearly a year to add the extra crossmember on my GEN1 setup, so I know it works.....
    But I felt a lot better doing hard trails with the extra support.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>
  3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Apr 25, 2001
    you could get some C-Channel, and weld up a cross member with that perhaps? a friend of mine did that when he needed a new crossmember for some bizzar tranny conversion he did on an old dodge... took some 4 inch by 1.5 inch C channel, welded some short pieces upside down on the bottom of it, and then bolted it to the frame.

Crappy ascii drawing of what he did, side angle

Top, drilled holes in middle for tranny mounts,
    | \_____________/ |
    Bottom, Drilled holes allong frame rail for bolts there.

Rear View...
    Transmission goes in the middle,
    | ----- __________________________ ------|
    |_____|---------------------------- |_____|

side `things' bolt to frame rail.

might/might not work for you, but it seems to work for him.

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ddragggon on 10/16/01 12:12 AM.</FONT></P>