Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Additional crossmember

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tori89k5, Feb 19, 2002.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Kids.... anyone out there added an additional crossmember for frame strength ? I just put my sliders on this past sunday, and when putting weight on them I can actually watch the frame tweak. They weld straight to the the frame. Am planning on building a crossmember for just behind transfer case to tie things together. Looking for ideas before i start building.

1990 K5 4" lift, 33" MTR's, 14FF w/ Detroit locker, D44 w/ posi, 4.10's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides !

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Suburbans have a 1" x 3" channel for the carrier bearing when they have a 2 piece driveshaft. just ties the top of the frame together. Although you have flex coming from the bottom part I take it? Your driveline would be your only limitation.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The rear mounting plates for my sliders extends below the frame 2'' . I welded a piece of 2'' square tubing across the frame between the plates. I gusseted the mounting plate on the outside of the frame up to the sliders. This took care of any flex even with the entire weight of the truck resting on the sliders on the waterfall at Disney, OK

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mo-offroad.com>www.mo-offroad.com</a>

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok I just asked a ? about this "extra" brace that I have and it mounts bout where my rear driveshaft goes on the 203 and it has also a skid plate there to If you want tori I can send ya pic's tommarow after work (the brace looks stock but I don't know for sure)just let me know,I think now I will keep the "extra brace" If I put sliders on to help the "twist" factor -mike

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Your crossmember sounds stock. The factory used them to mount up the skid plate. It's just another tranny mount thrown in.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Sure,..... i'd like to see some pics of it..... I may give me some better ideas. Right now my plan is a piece of 2x4 (box steel) with gusseted ends and plates that run up the sides of the frame and it will bolt on.

1990 K5 4" lift, 33" MTR's, 14FF w/ Detroit locker, D44 w/ posi, 4.10's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides !