Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

additional Horse-Power

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Feb 1, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What's the easiest way to add additional HP to a fairly stock 4 bolt main 350... Lookin to dump about 500 bucks over te next few months... I know I can add headers and exhaust and a good carb... But what else... NOthin huge... But easy stuff... I can do cams and manifolds.. What do you guy's recommend... and what should be done first?
    Thanks!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

If you can do cams and manifolds, I would step up the cam to a mild cam and go to a hi-pro manifold. I would also look into going to a hi-pro. ignition system. Also the headers and exhaust is a must do. Maybe even go for a k&n air filter system. There is alot of little things you can do. Electric cooling fans, hi-pro water pump, bigger alternator, pulleys, etc.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The cam and heads is where you'll get the most power increase. Heads are a bit out of the $500 budget, so I'd go with a hotter cam and use the leftover cash for headers and exhaust. Of course, you have to pull the manifold to do the cam anyway, so might as well replace that while it's apart.

So, cam and manifold first. Headers and exhaust next. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would go with a Comp Cam 268H kit, a performer intake, stock Q-jet should work fine and a set of headers and free flow exhaust. A set of roller rockers and "personal preference" a Jacobs Ignition System would be great but that will put you over the 500 buck mark. If you can get rid of any smog stuff because that kills hp on alot of older engines. I would go to Summit Racing they have good prices and great service and most parts are shipped free.

Good luck with it. Wayne

5. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

go with an ignition system. it will increase your power and fuel economy. and will work with any other mods you do to the engine

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First thing I would do, if you want them (I don't necessarily) is get a GOOD set of headers. Some kind of rust resistant or proof finish. They improve power at all RPM ranges, and are probably one of the easiest bolt on power builders there are.

Since you are stuck on a budget of $500, heads are basically out of the picture. If you did a set of good headers, and a dual exhaust system (if you have no emissions visual inspection) you'd probably be out your $500.

Other mods to consider are a slightly better cam, but that depends where you want your power. GM designed their cams for emissions (which includes MPG) as much as possible, with any performance gains being a side benefit. Unfortunately I haven't seen any stock Chev cam specs online (as in what they used in our trucks) but I'd have to think they were pretty conservative...but most, if not all cams, hurt the low end. That starts getting pretty technical, but I think on the trucks, when looking for low end Torque, a factory cam is pretty good. (flame away)

Setting myself up for more flames, I would have to say do not even consider the ignition "upgrade" at this point. The only real benefits to a well tuned engine would be better/faster start up. I have yet to see ANY well conducted tests that conclusively prove there are any other benefits. The dyno/track tests I have seen certainly do not hold out that they produce more power. Not only that, but stock HEI has been shown to be good up to 7000RPM before falling off. An aftermarket coil will boost the (inadequate???) 30,000 volt GM system up to something like 70,000. (as if 30,000 isn't enough to ignite gas/air mixture)

Just my thoughts...you've got a good base engine to be working with, and any mods you do now that can be used later on when you have the time or desire to upgrade other components will save you $ in the long run.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

7. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I agree with the guy above saying stock GM cams are good torque cams. There are however cams designed specifically for 4x4 vehicles such as Competition cams Xtreme 4x4. You might wanna look into that. Another bolt-on item that´ll improve your engine is rockerarms with a 1.6 ratio, rather than the stock 1.5. This will give you more lift without affecting the duration very much and that´s a good thing in a torque engine. These rockerarms sometimes are equipped with a wheel at the "tip", which is very good for valvetrain stability. Check out Comp Cams Magnum rocker arms.

/Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://hem.passagen.se/znus/>http://hem.passagen.se/znus/</A>

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are on a limited budget. First start with GOOD headers/ exahust system And an open element K&N filter. Your engine has to be able to breathe before you can get the most any other modifications. Then get a good ignition( MSD or Mallory are good) By now you should be up to 500.oo. Later when you get more money you Take the next step and get one of those manifold and cam shafts that come all matched up as a kit.That way you will be able to replace the manifold and cam at the same time and they will work together to make the most HP and Torque. I would keep the Q jet carb because they just work so darn good for four wheeling. Bigger Holleys and AFBs flood out all the time when climbing hills or at weird angles also your gas milage will go to hell.
    If you still dont have enough power. For another 500 bucks you can alwaws go "On the Bottle" and get a NO2 system. That will set you back in your seat.
    Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
    Happy building!

9. cadpowered

cadpowered Newbie

Get rid of the 350. If I want to add the most for the $$$$ I just go find a 1968 through 1976 Cadillac 500 cid buy the whole car for $300.00 to $500.00, drop the engine in the Chev and get 400 hp with 550 lbs of torque. This is stock, nothing added, the 400hp 550 torque is from a 1970, newer years (lower compression) you loose 35 hp and 15 lbs torque. There is no other engine that will give you more hp and torque for the dollars invested. I have the 500 or 472 caddies in a 1972 Chev Longhorn, 1967 Chev short wide, and going in to a 1972 Blazer.

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i will give a decent breakdown for the $500. all prices are tkaen from summit racing.
    1)Hedmann headers, $98.95 true they are not coated, but they are cheap, fit decently enough , and will still last a few years. TOTAL: $98.95
    2)Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold. $149.95. this manifold actually makes a lot of power even below the advertised 1500-6500 rpm range. you just need to very carefully select the cam for optimum performance. TOTAL: $248.90
    3)Comp Cam 4x4 Xtreme (CCA-12-235-2), $96.95. a 4wd cam, very smooth, nice power, beautifully compliments the intake. TOTAL: $345.85.
    4)Holley mech fuel pump, $51.95, to ensure your cam, manifold are fed well. TOTAL: $397.80
    5)K&N Filter 14" dia. 4" tall $59.95 you got decent exhaust breathing , this is for intake breathing TOTAL: $457.75
    6)Accel 8.8mm plug wires $57.69. to make sure you fire the plugs right. TOTAL: $515.44

there you go, only 15 bucks over your bidget and you will have a healthy running motor that will pull from idle to about 5800 rpm. you will get most of the torque from 1000-3500, but will continue to pull well after that. this is all assuming that your ignition is in good condition and your carb is tuned well. the GM ignition, despite the rumours, are excellent. however, the next step after all of this would be the MSD kit $188.95.
    sorry for the novel, but i hope that helps.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com