Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adhesive Remover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RLBstein, Jun 5, 2004.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I have removed the molding from my Blazer and have tried about 6 products to remove the adhesive without any luck. I have used a bumper sticker and adhesive remover with no luck,a 3M product for removing adhesives, even paint thinner and none of it has removed an ounce of this darn adhesive. Any clues of what I can use before I resort to wet sanding.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

WD-40, plus it washes off afterwards and doesn't ruin the paint.

3. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

After all the things i've used, its hard for me to think WD-40 will remove this stuff, but I definitely appreciate the input and will be trying it tomorrow. Thanks

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i know, but thats all i use, give it a shot, you may be surprised. You may have to let it soak in a bit if it's something alittle harder. But it should work.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

goo-gone

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Someone makes a little rubber wheel that you put on a drill and it "erases" the adhesive. It works very well -- I think it is made by 3M. It is my favorite way to remove adhesives.

7. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

removing molding glue is a PITA and everytime I do it I end up sanding it down and spraying it with primer. I did do it one time without sanding but it was time consuming and it took about 3 cans of the 3m adhesive remover to do it. BTW that was '88 mustang I did that with and the molding is about 3 1/2" wide so there was alot of residue but the paint was real nice and I didnt want to use primer. Im about to do the same to my '86 K5.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey dude, like the sig! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Okay I found it. This product is the way to go if you ask me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

have you tried it? wish I hada seen one of those when I took the stripes and glue off my Nissan, took me a couple of weeks doing a little at a time.

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yes, I used it to take a pin stripe and the trim adhesive off my 2nd blazer and some huge graphics off a nissan pickup I had. I found it much easier and 100% more effective than the chemical adhesive removers. They cost about $20 but I think its worth it. Plus, it doesn't damage the paint /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. that would have been a lot better. have they been out long, or just something new on the market?

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I bought mine in the summer of 2000, I don't know how long they've been around. The guy at the paint shop suggested it.

[​IMG]

It says not to use it on laquer paints though.

14. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought mine in the summer of 2000, I don't know how long they've been around. The guy at the paint shop suggested it.

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that is the way to go!!!! I just took my moulding off, worked like the dickens for about 3 hours with chemicals...only to get about a foot of adhesive off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Purchased one of those wheels, broke out my drill...about an hour later the whole K5 was DONE!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that is the way to go!!!! I just took my moulding off, worked like the dickens for about 3 hours with chemicals...only to get about a foot of adhesive off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Purchased one of those wheels, broke out my drill...about an hour later the whole K5 was DONE!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ideas on where to pick one of these wonders up at? Im also about to do some molding and would like to try it out.

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i used easyoff oven cleaner,but that looks way easier. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif