Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adjustable prob valve question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey, if I scrounge some sort of a tap from a hyd. setup, or even a small water type tap, wouldnt it work as an adjustable proportioning valve instead of spending near 90.00 CDN for one? I tried to find one in the USA when I was there 2 weeks ago and no one had heard of them nor could get one. I didnt have time to order from Summit to be delivered while I was there... ya know?
    I think they would work... cept maybe that the race Wilwood type prolly cant shut off completely right? Hmmm maybe it would be cool to be able to shut em off completely... Dunno... what do you think?

Thanks
    Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I hate to say it Mike...but spend the $90. It's your brakes not a fender or something trivial!!

My 2 cents...now all you need is $89.98/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

3. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

yeah.... dont risk it for 90 bucks. Always go quality on brake parts.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Brakes are between 600 and 1200psi. water is at about 60psi. you figure it out. Also all that would do is restrict the flow but it would still reach the same pressure once it got past the restriction. A propotiong valve controls the pressure by changing the balance of th input presure to the output presure. Spend the money and play it safe.
    Look in your local phone books for race shops. That's how I found mine and he got it for me the next day and was only about $5 more expensive with ttax then it would have been to order with shipping.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool, point taken. I do have some smaller taps that we use on aircraft related ground handling eqpt that handles 3000 psi. But if I can get a Wilwood type one on my next trip to the USA, I will.
    Ummm maybe a stupid question, but how does the internals of the Adj valve differ from a tap? Just curious.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Mike

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They have deceptively simple looking parts in there. Just a piston and a couple of seals. The trick is that the shape of both the piston and the seal riding on it are highly evolved. You won't get it righton the first try and I'd be really surprised if you were anywhere close by the 58th try.
    It would be a lot like making your own carb emulsion tubes, it just isn't done.