Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting bands and linkage in tranny make it stop slipping?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Mar 20, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My tranny slips a little and clunks, When I go from a stop it goes then clunks then goes faster. Sometimes when I was about 30 mph it kept reving when I kept the gas pedal like it was shifting to 3rd then 2nd then 3rd... I changed the fluid and there was fine metal shavings in with the fluid so like a silver sludge. I found an ad to adjust the bands, change fluid, adjust linkage etc. for $20. Or do I need a tranny soon?

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

There is no band adjustment on a turbo 350 (hopefully that is what your running). If the fluid looks as bad as it sounds I would think your tranny is toast. Metal in the fluid is bad, Does it slip between gears or take a long time to go into reverse? I just had my turbo 350 rebuilt for 700.00 with a shift kit and a heavy duty converter. Where in Washington are you located?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A TH 350 rebuild is $250. Do you really think it's worth it to screw around?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the bands they are talking about adjusting are in ford trannys sounds like you are going to need to have it re-buillt /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. anatomiczero

I'm in Auburn, I'll go ahead with the rebuild and torque converter then. Yes it's a turbo 350. It's a lockup 350, but the wire that goes to the dist. cap broke off around the tranny, so I don't know if it's suppose to be a lockup and the person who installed it phucked it up or he put the wrong tranny in and left it disconnected.

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Does your tranny have a tin dust cover or an aluminum cover with two support rods going to the motor mounts. If it has a tin cover it is a regular turbo 350. If it has a aluminum cover with the rods it is turbo 350c Your 1980 did come with a turbo 350c with a K case. The K case is tough as hell but lock up turbo 350 kinda suck. I had mine converted over to a non lock up years ago. I also have a 1980 GMC. I called several places about rebuilds around here, (I live on Whidbey Island) and 700 to 800 u pull and install was about the going price.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

to any 700 r4's have those rods to the torqu convertter inspection plate? im replacing this girls tranny for her, and i put in my old 700 r4, it has the same plugs as the tranny i took out of her truck, but it had those rods you are talking about too, does that mean it is this Th350c? if so will the 700 r4 work in there....? thx

8. anatomiczero

I have the aluminum pan and rods. Why do the lockups suck?

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You're jumping in, but oh well...
    700R-4's have the rods too, only for 4 wheel drives. It is easy to tell the 350 and 700 apart. The 350 has a vacuum hose running to it and the 700 has a TV cable. The hose goes to a vacuum modulator that kind of sticks out of the side. The cable goes down through the case like it was going to stick down into the pan.

10. anatomiczero

Update: it's shaking and is making metal groaning noises when I go from a stop and is takin a while to shift to 3rd

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

they cost more to rebuild, about 200 bucks more. G.M. had not perfected a lock up system back then. They used it to help with fuel mileage hahah. It was an add on to the turbo 350. It never seemed to work quite rite.

12. Silver84k5

sorry bout that, didnt think about jumping in heh, my bad

13. Silver84k5

sorry bout that, didnt think about jumping in heh, my bad

14. anatomiczero

It went out yesterday when I was driving to a shop to get an estimate. I barely gimped it into a Chrysler Dealership and called a tow truck. Looks like I'll be gettin a tranny, the th350c installed is going for abut $950

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a rip off. Most non chain shops will rebuild a TH350 for around $300 if you bring it to them.
    Parts to completly rebuild it including a rebuilt torq converter, new seals the works is $125. maybe a few bucks more for the lock up converter.
    Metal shavings (chunks in the pan) come from 2 places for the most part. 1 is the converter is coming appart and the other is the splines on the stator shaft are wearing off. a little metalic flake in the flud that you can see in bright light is worn clutches.
    Big chunks of metal in the pan and rollers is a blown forward sprag. You will get a shift out of first but no 2-3 shift. You will sort of be in 2.5. The third gear drum will be spinning backwards. Truck will still go forward but it doesn't really engage 3rd. It's noticable.
    If sprags or slines are shot it will drive the price up some.
    Most small shops will do the pulling and installing for around $300 cause it's such a pain on a 4x4.
    You should be able to get this done for around $700 if your not able to pull and install the tranny.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just go to the junkyard and get a regular TH 350 then. My guy charges $250 for a rebuild.