Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting driver's door?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crahm, Oct 24, 2001.

1. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Adjusting driver\'s door?

My 87' driver's door sags. In other words, it needs to rotate counter clockwise to close properly. It appears one would need to remove the door off the hinges to get to the hinge bolts attaching the hinge to the truck? Make an adjustment, bolt the door back on and test if the adjustment was correct. What a pain - Am I correct on this? Thanks, Charles in Dallas

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Adjusting driver\'s door?

Depending on how bad it is sagging, you might be suprised how much just replacing the nylon bushing on the striker will help. I would be willing to bet that there isn't even one on there, as most crack and fall off. You can get them at any parts store and they are easy to replace. Just put the striker back in the same position it was in before. The latch mechanism will ride on the bushing thus pushing the door back up into position. Hope this helps.
    If you do need hinge adjustment, yes the bolts are a real pain to get to.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A lot of door sag is also caused by the little brass hinge bushings wearing out. New hinge kits are available for cheap at most auto parts stores. After replacing mine the door at least lined up with the opening in the truck...The nylon stiker bushings really help too.

I did have to make some adjustments to the hinge area too, a standard combination wrench was all that was needed to get to the hinge bolts. It's not really that bad. I used a ballpoint pen and kinda drew a line around the perimeter edges of the door hinge and then made my adjustments.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with replacing the nylon bushing. You can buy them at the auto store. Once I had a correct size bushing, I went to the hardware store and bought a section of nylon piping with the same thickness and diameter. I keep it handy and cut out new bushings when needed. The door will close more quietly and it will lift it 1/8 - 1/4 inch - decreasing the sag.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Your hinges are probally toast. Mine are thats for sure. Open your door, and pick up on it, if you can see it move at all, you know it is the bushings in your dorr hinges. You can buy a hinge rebuiild kit from LMC and others like that for pretty cheap, I'm just lazy and haven't done it yet but thats my plan soon. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

6. crahm

crahm Registered Member

My hinges are solid. If I try to lift on the door, the hinges don't move, the truck does. That's why I need to get to the hinges where the hinges bolt to the truck body, not where the hinges bolt to the door. When I get the hinges adjusted right, I'll definately get some nylon striker bushings though. Thanks.

7. tRustyK5

To get to those bolts you'll need to remove the fender. The upper hinge has one bolt coming from the inside...there is a small access hole way up under the dash and you'll need a deep socket.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rene's right. Fender has to come off to do it right. If you don't adjust the door position, and or striker to match, you will just end up wearing out the hinge bushings the opposite way of normal. (usually they wear out from opening, you will wear them out from forcing the door up on closing)

Fender removal sucks :( But once its off, door is easy to get set correctly.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

A body repair friend of mine showed me a trick once. I havent had to use it on my truck, but did on my Lemans car a while ago. He told me the door hinges bend because of the weight of the larger doors. Maybe on your truck someone used the door as a support to get in or something. Anyways, we took a small chunk of 2x4, put it in the hinge area, down low, then slowly close the door until it contacts the wood. Then put a little extra push into it and it will slightly bend (or adjust) the hinges and rotate the door CCW like you need. It worked like a darn and never had to do it again. Its something you can try before you go removing the quarter panel...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

10. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the hinges themselves bending because they look pretty stout. It might bend the door itself where the hinges bolt to. I could see that as a possible place that would bend if you lean on the door to get in and out of. If the door itself is bent where the hinges bolt to, then you might be able to use a furniture vise (I think that's what it's called) to pop the bent section back into place without removing the door or fender. Just a thought ....

11. crahm

crahm Registered Member

What do you think about putting a floor jack under the door and a 2x4 to protect the metal, and try to bend the door back counterclockwise? I think I'll give it a try tonight.

12. tRustyK5

I'd remove the fender...

Rene

13. dyeager535

I think you'll likely end up sooner or later with a busted door right where the hinge bolts. Can't say that its the cause of the broken doors I have seen, but putting stress on them like that doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How does that work Thumper? I just can't picture where I need to put the wood...the wide side or thin side...it goes in the doorjamb, correct? I really need to do something aobut my doors

90K5

15. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've adjusted doors a few times with out removing the fender, very frustrating though! What you do is remove your door to get to hinges and do your chaning or fixing, or whatever you want. Then tighten down the hinges so they're kinda snug. Have a buddy hold the door and wiggle the hinges around so the bolt holes on the door appear in the middle of holes on the hinges and they butt against the door. Put the door down and snug the hinges even more, they should be a real mother to move. Put your door on and tighten it, make sure to grab the handle or something to take some of the weight. Then close your door and grab, pull, and move that sucker to alignment. Open it while still supporting the weight and take the door of, again! Tighthen those hignes down all the way and put your door back on. Then you'll have to align the body line where the door and fender meet. Its kinda of a pain but if your fenders and wheel housing are rusty when you put any pressure on those bolts, you'll hear the distinctive "crunch" sound and the clip tears through the rust.

Either way works, taking the fender off is nice when you already doing body work and have it off. Otherwise I just leave it on.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

sounds kinda complicated...I think I'll try the 2x4 idea first...once I figure it out

90K5

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, the way we did it, he just stuffed the wood in the gap at the lower hinge. All thats required is it to hold the bottom of the door towards the rear while the upper part can still move inward. Its tough to explain... it doesnt really matter how you put it as long as it gets pinched between the door and the body where the lower hinge is. Like I said, its not a perfect fix, but it worked on my car, and it may save a guy a bit of work... I wouldnt shove the door as hard as you can, just give it a little pressure and see if it helps.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Another idea, you could just take the doors off like I did on my Jimmy :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

19. crahm

crahm Registered Member

Last night I thought I'd try jacking up the door but I double checked my hinges first. Guess what, there is a very small amount of play on my hinges. I don't know if it would be enough to fix the complete sage but if there is a brass bushing in the hinge, it must be worn. So you can get these repair kits at pep boys or autozone? Take off the door, take off the hinges to repair? I assume they have to be pressed in? Thanks

20. dyeager535

Yeah take the door off. Never tried it on the truck, but if you had the right drill, you MIGHT be able to replace the bushing without removing the hinge from the body. Probably would be very close, but in my scenario, if you can get a drill on teh hinge pin hole, take the door off, cut the old pin, remove it, and drill out the hole to whatever diameter necessary.

I *believe* that there are two types of hinge pin bushing kits...one oversized for if the door hinge wasn't fixed when it should have been, and has oblonged the hinge itself, and one "standard" that can just be pressed in with no drilling. Any chain auto store should have one, but for my car, the applications listed on the package were not correct, so be careful in that regard.

Dorian