Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adjusting rockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jul 8, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so after i start my engine tomorrow, if i hear and clanking, whats the best way to go about re adjusting the rockers?

thanks

tom

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Remove one valve cover at a time and adjust them with it running until you hear no more clanking. Makes a bit of a mess unless you "customize" a set of valve covers.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Scan through the Advanced Previews forum and look for an article posted by Sandman. He did a pretty good writeup on the process. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

take one valve cover off at a time you can get plastic plugs to put on the rockers so it does't spray oil all over if you don't have those you can cut cardboard out and put it up to block the oil /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    then you fire it up and start at the front or back and back off the rocker till you can hear it rattle then you slowly tighten it up till the rattle just stops then tighten it an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn i was told the tighter the rocker the engine will benifit more in the bottom end and the looser will beifit the top end.
    just make them all the same and if they don't rattle there good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif