Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adjusting rockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 93h22cvc, Jun 28, 2006.

1. 93h22cvc

93h22cvc Registered Member

what is the procedure and specs. also what is the correct way to reinstall the distributor. i just did a head gasket and the truck is running a little rough. i just want to cover all my bases. thanks in advance guys.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you looking to start a fight? :D You are going to get a lot of different answers and heated argument from the running adjustment crowd, and the static adjustment crowd. Try a search on this subject, and you will see what I mean.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :bow: Awesome, that is The Perfect Answer.
    I go static, 1/2 to 3/4 turns past zero lash. ( talking Hyd. ) But if anyone asks, I aint said s***.:D

4. 93h22cvc

93h22cvc Registered Member

anyone on the distributor. thanks guys

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since you mentioned you where doing a valve adjustment, I assume you have the valve covers off?

With the valve covers off, turn the harmonic damper until its timing mark lines up with the 0* mark on the timing tab, and both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on the number-1 cylinder. This will put the number-1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke. (this is the tricky part) Then install the distributor (with the rotor installed on it). When the distributor is seated all the way in (with the number-1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke), the rotor should be pionting just slightly to the left of straight ahead (or pionting at the number-1 cylinder), which is where you will start your number-1 spark plug wire.

When you first insert the distributor, install it with the rotor pionting one tooth left (or ahead) of the number-1 spark plug wire position because the distributor will turn clockwise as you are seating it in. When the distributor is almost seated, you will need to bump the engine with the starter motor, in order to line up the distributor with the oil pump shaft, and it will seat the rest of the way in. After you have done this, bring the engine back to TDC compression stroke on the number-1 cylinder to double check that the distributor is lined up in the correct position.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i think the common theme for rocker adjustment is to go through a field of boulders or a rock garden,

ya, that should adjust em for ya:D

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

1/2 and 3/4 turns work well for this too :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

1-ton is dead on with the dist.

As far as the rockers... last time I checked the manual (a long time ago), the procedure went something like this:
    With the engine warm and running, back off the rocker adjusting nut until it starts to clack.
    Turn it back down until the clacking just stops.
    Repeat for all 16 valves.
    Turn engine off and then turn each adjusting nut one additional full turn.

That's the fastest way (if a little messy).
    Static adjustment is cleaner but slower and takes longer to write down.

Both are equally valid.