Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting roller rockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Nov 15, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I now officially have my first set of rollers and I tried once but a few of them still rattle a little. Is there some little trick I'm missing? I did the twisting the push rod and making sure there was no up and down play and then turned it it one half turn.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't know , never been able to afford a real set like those pretty orange anodized jobs you got from Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

They may have worn in a bit if they were brand new and developed a little more clearance. Try it again and tighten to around 3/4 of a turn if its a mostly stock motor. Stock motor should be turned 3/4 to 1 full turn. High RPM motor should only be 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I usually adjust mine with it running anyway. Start it up and loosen a rocker until it starts tapping, then tighten until it just goes away, then slowly tighten to 3/4 of a turn. Just be sure to turn slowly to give the lifter time to adjust. You will hear the motor idle slightly lower as you tighten, just wait for it to return to normal before you turn the rest of the way. This is all assuming you have hydraulic lifters.

4. justhorsinaround

They are pretty ain't they??? Anywho, anyone know anything about these critters?

5. justhorsinaround

So no one else has roller rockers or did I have the right idea and just need to try again?

Please folks. I'm tired of driving my Grandmom's old 1980 Malibu with the V-6 and the crappy AM, yes AM, radio that leaks alot of ATF and the speedo makes noise and it's a four door and beat the snot out of it......

Need I go on?

Please some advice?

6. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

On my roller rockers, I was told to tighten them while wiggling it back and forth, just to the point it stopped, then do a complete 1/2 turn tigher, then tighten the lock screw. Roller rockers will make some noise versus standard rockers, when driving you'll hear them in between buildings. Kinda cool in my opinion, lets people know that you're rockin the rollers..hehe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

it's a bit messy, but you can adjust them while the truck is running. back them off till the rattle, turn them in to just when it stops, then go 1/2 turn more. lock it. If you have an extra tall rocker, you can cut open the top enough to just expose the adjuster, that way all the oil will stay in!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had some "issues" with mine as well.

I have a feeling this is just something you hear with these things, but perhaps I'm wrong. I've had the rockers off and on twice now for another reason, but both times the noise was the same.

I just made doubly sure the second time that after tightening the poly locks, that the pushrod was pretty tight.

I even went so far as to set the rockers at 1/2 turn past "zero lash", then go back in and increase that another 1/4 turn after the engine had been broken in, with no change in the sound.

I'm running an aftermarket roller cam as well though, the linkbars on that may be adding some noise that I'm thinking is the rockers as well. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I did reply way at the top, before you kept asking if anyone knew anything about them.