Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting shift linkage on an auto column shifter......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, bare with me as I dont have my ride here at work.. When I get home I wont have much time to play with it so I wanted to have an idea of which way I need to adjust so I can take the least amount of time.

My 89 3/4 has a 700 r4 and factory column shifter. When I shift down into first the indicator doesn't line up with 1.. It is farther up the indicator range towards 2 and 3.. Same goes with any gear... Ex: when I am in OD, the indicator is up around reverse.

So the adjustment for this is below the column on the firewall side. The is a rod that the linakge attaches to with a single bolt. Would that rod need to be moved up through the linkage hold down or down farther?

TIA!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

May try my truck at the pulls tonight and want to be able to keep it in 1st..... As of now it will shift from 1st to 2nd because the linkage is out of whack.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes that is where you adjust it. Put the truck in park, loosen that bolt, and ensure that what ever you do, the truck will still be able to go into park.

3. Emmettology 101

thanks, but I was mainly asking which way to go with the rod.. Up or down... I dont have alot of time to play with it since I left it til the last moment. DOH! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

there's a little clip that attaches to the rotating piece of ur shifter on the column...it may have crept a little on ya...it's a PIA to get too and adjust w/o droppin the column..you can remove the lower plastic piece right below the column and you may be able to get some angled needle nose up there and pull it down a bit...

mine has the same prob after i installed a new column and i just deal with it!!!!!!!! I count the clicks!!

5. Emmettology 101

HHmmm... I'm hoping it isn't that... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think there was a column change at some point in the truck. But it sued to have a 3 inch body llift also that was taken out before I bought it and I am thinking my friend just didn't take the time to readjust properly.. Normal driving it doesn't bother me, but I need to hold it in first from shifting for pulling. If I cant get it, I'll probably just pass. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks, but I was mainly asking which way to go with the rod.. Up or down... I dont have alot of time to play with it since I left it til the last moment. DOH! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Adjust it which ever direction it needs to go to work.

The rod goes up for park and down for first, and the indicator really might not be telling you where it is, in reference to where it needs to be.

Sounds to me that the rod needs to be adjusted, "up".

But if you adjust it until it goes into park correctly, it will go down into first.

7. semper-k-five

[ QUOTE ]
    HHmmm... I'm hoping it isn't that... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think there was a column change at some point in the truck. But it sued to have a 3 inch body llift also that was taken out before I bought it and I am thinking my friend just didn't take the time to readjust properly.. Normal driving it doesn't bother me, but I need to hold it in first from shifting for pulling. If I cant get it, I'll probably just pass. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

got ya boss...didn't know it was pullin out of gear on ya..

8. Emmettology 101

I see what you're saying about adjust it to park. But I am hitting park fine on the indicator.. Actually the pin on the indicator is going past Park, so I was thinking the rod needed to go down.....

9. Emmettology 101

Ya, I can hold any gear but 1st... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif And I think I may get the revs up high enough to where it will want to [censored] while pulling and that aint no good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. semper-k-five

right on!! hope ya get'er done and have some fun!

11. Emmettology 101

Me too.. But I am not expecting to do that well since its a one wheeled wonder front and rear. But hey, it's having fun that counts. I definately have the engine for it(383)....

12. semper-k-five

damn right!! all about fun and fixin' broke stuff! and ur right, the 383 should treat you ok

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What I meant was, adjust the linkage so it will go into park all the way, but no further. then you can be sure it will drop all the way to first.

14. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wonder why my stock 350 trans shifter in a 1973 K-5 doesn't have enough adjustment to be able to go into low range and still go into park. I need to drop it into low sometimes but if I adjust it that far then it won't go into park. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. Emmettology 101

Ok, well I didn't get the indicator adjust up correctly, but I did find out why I cant hit 1st.

First off 84 Chevy K10's(Tim) description was backwards. The rod goes up for first and down for park.....

The reason my truck was going into first is because there was an extention welded in for a 3" body lift. Without that lift the rod was hitting a brakct connected to the booster/mc and was stopping. I cut a couple inches off the rod and it worked great. Someday when I have more time I'll get around to adjusting it properly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And on the pulls.... Didn't get to. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Got to the fairgrounds and they said they weren't running a stock class. Oh well. We did get to watch some semi's pull which is always fun!