Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting Shift Points...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wraparound, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

Ever since I had my 700r4 rebuilt it has shifted hard from 1st to 2nd, even with slow acceleration. I never really cared until I blew out my rear end while cruising up to tahoe for a wedding. Is the process of adjusting shift points manageable for a transmission-phobic. I never mess with that thing but I want to tone it down a bit. What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The part throttle shift points are set by the TV cable that attaches to the carb or throttle body.
    It is adjustable. Having more tension on the cable will shift harder and at higher rpm's. However, there is a minimum pressure required. You must have 2-4psi pressure at idle with the carb plates closed, as you give it the gas, the pressure will come up securing the clutches, if you dont have enough base pressure, you will cook the trans.

The next question is did the rebuilder install a shift kit? If so, that could account for the harder shifts.

The governor controls shifts at WOT.

Heres a link on TV101

3. Wraparound

They did, but at first it was extreme so they adjusted it. I was looking to lighten things up a bit more but this is one area of the truck that I do not know.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Your best bet would be to take it back to them and have them adjust it again if they can. Wouldn't want to void your warranty or anything like that.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

firm shifts are a good thing. a smooth shifting trans is a slipping trans, it will shorten the life of a trans in a hurry.

6. Wraparound

Warrenty is long gone. Firm is good, banging on slow accel is bad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif