Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting the neutral safety switch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 31, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How do ya adjust it to start in neutral? My '75 will start in Park but not in Neutral.

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Don't know if this will help but, I jumped across mine (when I had auto) and could start in any gear....

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

alignment pin...

They come with a pin installed when you buy a new one--it holds the switch in the right spot while you install it,and it shears off the first time you shift out of park after the installation(its a plastic pin!)...not sure if you can use a small drill bit or toothpick as a substitite(you'll have to get the remains of the sheared off pin out first)...there isn't a whole lot of "adjustment" range on the slotted bracket on the switch anyway--

If your truck has a body lift and a modified shift linkage because of it,you might be able to only get it to start in "Park" OR "neutral",but not both,because the linkage mods affect the geometry of the linkage VS the switch...my 74 K20 was this way--I just jumped the 2 large purple wires together so it would start in any position..yea,I'm lazy somtimes! :crazy:

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i have the 465..but i just jumped mine also and can start in any gear..works great when wheeling and i need to "creep" or "bump" through something..leave it in gear shut it off..and turn the key a few times