Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adjusting the TPS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, May 9, 2005.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

My 87 350 TBI will start up fine and idle normal for a few minutes or seconds depending on how warm the engine is. (Seconds if engine is warmed up.) But then it seems like after the initial high idle the engine will decrease in RPM's and then spit and sputter and eventually stall out. The SES code says HIGH TPS voltage. I just replaced it. It said LOW TPS voltage before i replaced it. Is there a way i can adjust the sensor?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is. Did the replacement TPS have slotted holes, or round holes? If they're slotted, it's easy. Loosen the two screws, hook up your voltmeter to the proper wires (you can stick the probe where the wires are, into the connector), and rotate the TPS body until you get the proper closed reading. I forget exactly what it is, I did mine a couple years ago. I think it is .5 v full closed, but double check that just to make sure. Your maximum reading at WOT should be 5v (or around there).

I also forget which wire is which, but there's only three. One is a ground, one is 5v constant, and the other is the output to the ECM.