Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

adjustment sleeve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blueblazes, Jan 19, 2001.

1. blueblazes

blueblazes Registered Member

While replacing my upper balljoints, I came across the adjustment sleeves threaded into the upper half of the the axl yokes. My new balljoints came with replacements, but I was wondering how necessary it is to replace these parts? The auto parts store sells the spanner wrench to remove them for about $30, but I'd rather not buy this tool just for a one-time use. Please let me know if I should replace them, and/or how to check them for wear/damage. Thanks.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hey blue, i just did these, and this was really messing me up too..haynes was of little help... there are some posts(mine by the way) on the next page or two with some replys that refer to the chiltons manual..one of the guys even explains what he did as far as adjustments and torque specs..my main concern was where is the sleeve supposed to be when the new joints are installed?? all the way up? down? two threads from the top? or what. i just jimmied it with a flat tip screw driver and a hammer on my original ones and it seemed to work..around here in fayetteville, auto zone rents special tools like that for free (you just pay the purchase price then get it back when you return it). i dont know what you got for parts stores arounf there, but maybe you could go to a shop and give a mechanic a 12 pack or something to borrow his for the day... all in all its a pain in the a$$, but mine finally went together...tRustyk5 said he just put his together torquing the bottom joint at 70 ft, lbs, and the top one at 100 ft. lbs and it went together fine....just make sure it isnt hard as hell to turn the knuckle..the book says 25 lbs. using a scale hooked to the knuckle...good luck dude, i have felt your pain all week!!!

AIRBORNE!!