Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Administrative details of a cab swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jarheadk5, May 31, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was just presented with the opportunity to do a cab swap to cure my rust problems. The new cab already has trimmed fenders, Rhino-lining, etc. I'd briefly considered this after seeing how bad my rust damage really was (seatbelt mounts rusted so badly they were held in by the CARPET, bodymount points just gone), but the money just wasn't there to buy a donor vehicle. Now I may be able to just buy a good cab. I've pretty much got the mech. and elec. details down, but what are the legal, administrative details? I'll be doing the swap in NC, but my vehicle is registered in PA. I'm not sure where the donor is registered, might be NC. Do I need the title for the vehicle I'm getting the cab from? Do I need my title? Will I need to get a new title? Will my new VIN be the VIN from the donor vehicle?
    Anyone know of any Web links for NC and/or PA where I can find info about this stuff?
    Thanks for the assistance...

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

what year of vehicle are you working on?

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey I know someone who's done this before and should know he's up at fort bragg he should know as soon as I can get in touch with him I'll let you know.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looks like someone else is going to help you on the "local" end of things.

If you have the title to both truck "bodies", and you swap the cab, there will be no issues. Since you legally owned both, your original bodies VIN will be "killed" if you scrap it whole, as the title will go to the dismantler (or whoever) when you get rid of it.

It will be a good idea to keep a copy of your old title though, before you scrap the body. If any government agent ever inspects the vehicle closely (whether you own it at the time, or whoever you sell it to) there will be a problem if you can't explain the partial frame VIN/body VIN number mismatch. They can *probably* check who the last registered owner was, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to help whoever.

I may sound anal about this, but after building my truck, I *almost* didn't get a chance to drive it, as I bought the frame without knowing I needed a bill of sale with the frame VIN on it, and I had to get a little creative to make it "legal" for the re-inspection. As it is, since I was never able to explain exactly what the donor vehicle was, I may never get a title. (since "ownership of some of the vehicle parts is in question", but at least the frame wasn't stolen, or it would have been ugly!)

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Mine is an 87, the donor is an 89 I believe.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't own the other vehicle, that's why I'm unclear on the legal issues. If this plan of mine works, I'll be buying just the cab (AKA tub) from someone, not the whole vehicle.

7. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    If this plan of mine works, I'll be buying just the cab (AKA tub) from someone, not the whole vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but to "own" a vehicle, the title needs to be in your name. I do not believe that the title going with the body is a state thing, that *should* be a Federal guideline/law, so if you buy the body, you should also get the title. Since the VIN plate is on the body, this should be the same for every state.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, but what about the frame from the other vehicle? Will the other owner run into trouble if he sells his frame, or if he tries to scrap it? I'd like this to go smooth for BOTH of us, not just me.
    I guess I'm gonna have to beg for some time off and find the local NCDOT office.

9. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, but what about the frame from the other vehicle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno how this can be, but I know plenty of people here that have scrapped everything BUT a body, no title required. Even bodies they will take if they are cut up small enough, but I'm not sure thats even legal...I can't believe it is.

Anyways, he just needs to sell the frame (or engine or tranny) with a bill of sale with the original VIN noted. *As long as he was the last registered owner*, then his bill of sale will hold up. All they are looking for is that you aren't building a truck with (and he's not selling) stolen parts.

But, good idea to check with local officials. In my state, it's the State Patrol that handles VIN issues. NC could have entirely different inspection/title/whatever procedures.